How do you add grease

Waldo

Reaction score
So I have gear one midboard hubs and I wanted to know how do you or can you  add grease to the bearings and race without having to remove the seal and one last question what grease do you recommend 

Depending on if it is a 934 or a 930, you will need to remove one or two seals,  

Most 934 are built the same, they will have one seal at the boot flange side,  I can post a picture of a seal puller we made,  some press out the bearing against the seal,  for us it broke the bearing,  the seal puller we made looks like a 4'' half moon of quarter plate that goes between the seal and the bearing and we can hit the plate with a hammer to force the seal out,  

If you have not done this before i would send it to LRS in California or Parker in Arizona and we are in Nevada,   

Correct.  The outer seals must be removed to grease the outer bearings.  Only other way is the super greasers.  I see no reason to even mess with the outer bearings unless you hear some noise.  I went 3 season on my CV's mid boards before I did any service besides adding grease.  Had one cv start clicking so opened them up and other then my stars everything looked great.  My stars went because I didnt check my angle and I was going over max.  Put new straps on and should be good to go.

Thanks for the advice I would love to see the tool you made so the reason I’m wanting to grease my hubs is that I’m hearing a whine coming from the backend of my car it sounded like my throw out bearing was going out so I changed my throw out bearing and  pilot bearing, and that didn’t work still have the same noise so I’m assuming that the hub bearing is the source for the noise it’s kinda weird since it doesn’t make any noise when the clutch is pushed in only when I’m in the gas is when I hear the noise 

Thanks for the advice I would love to see the tool you made so the reason I’m wanting to grease my hubs is that I’m hearing a whine coming from the backend of my car it sounded like my throw out bearing was going out so I changed my throw out bearing and  pilot bearing, and that didn’t work still have the same noise so I’m assuming that the hub bearing is the source for the noise it’s kinda weird since it doesn’t make any noise when the clutch is pushed in only when I’m in the gas is when I hear the noise 
It's your transaxle.

He’s right. Trans rebuild is in your future. Don’t wait too long, it’s only going to get worse.

I just had my mendeola md4s - 2d serviced in the beginning of the season by Rancho transaxle 

Not you hub.  Tranny.

as mentioned above, a whine is likely to be coming from the transaxle, but when it comes to greasing the bearings you do have to pull the seal to grease the outer bearing. You should really disassemble the hubs clean - inspect  - grease - reassemble. If you want I can walk you through this through email or phone calls, or you can always take them to @L.R.S. (SoCal) , @J Alper (Vegas), myself (phoenix).

As for bearing grease, I like Neo synthetics hp 800 wheel bearing grease. Triax atlas 600 is a very good cheaper alternative. 

Back