How do I find a specific 1969 car? I have the original license plate #.

Surf and Dune

Reaction score
My uncle bought a new 69 Mach1, took it straight from the dealer to a shop in Signal Hill, had the motor pulled and "built". and proceeded to make me a motorhead for the rest of my life. He passed a few years back from cancer and I would buy that car back in a heartbeat if I could find it. I just found some old pictures of the 2 of us and one of the pics had the license plate. Any suggestions how to find this car? CA  XSW597

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7989.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

Chance of same plates on it after all these years is probably slim to none. 

Try that registry or is there some Mach1 clubs or forums you can reach out to?  Anyone else in the family (Aunt, cousin) that might have some old papers that might show a registration or Vin#? Maybe old insurance papers? 

Just looked and 299,824 Mustangs were  produced in 69, with 24% being Mach 1’s. That’s approx 72,000. That’s more then I thought there would be. Being 52 years old, I would not think many would still be around, but Mustangs have a huge aftermarket and replacement parts following. So much so you could build a new car up from just replacement parts. So that makes a better chance it might have survived and still be around in some form. 

Hmm, my wifes dad had a ‘65 Malibu and I’d love to find it. 

I wonder if there is a forensic title search or something of the like that can be done

Hope y'all have some luck. I'd like to see that car today. Peace

There are sites that will run a plate for you, but you hit a paywall after entering the plate (I tried it for you).  I suspect that after you pay you will find no match.  Good luck in the search.

Back