Housing orientation EMPI 934 CV

Oldie McWighead

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I know the "small, smooth, groove to outboard" guidance:

• Small [cage]:  Small (non-beveled) side of cage goes outboard
  • Smooth [star]:  Smooth (flat) side of star goes outboard
  • Groove [housing]:  Groove of housing goes outboard

However, none of the EMPI 5098-B CV's I have ordered in the past have a groove on the housing.  The only visible marking is the printing of the part number on the housing.  On my last set of 4, as assembled from the factory, I swear this writing was right-side-up when viewed from outboard side, so I wrote that down in my notes and ran a set that way with no apparent issues (the corners of the stars are chipping a bit, but I am assuming this is because I am set up with too much angle and/or just time on the set).

However, a new set I just received has the writing upside-down when viewed from outboard side.  Maybe I was wrong the first time.

Which way is right?  Or does the housing orientation actually not matter on a 934?  Or is there some other way to tell that I am not aware of?

Thanks,

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it matters.  Not with 934's.
Thanks, I think you are right.  I actually just called McKenzie's a few minutes ago and was writing my reply.  Sounds like the housing itself is not directional so the manufacturers eliminated the groove.  Can elect (or not) to "rotate" the housings to wear other surfaces between servicings.

I'm surprised I didn't run into that fact long ago and log it in my CV servicing notes!  I didn't see that in any of the prior writeups I have saved for reference; however, they could predate this change...

Thanks again.  I stress about stuff like this.

Thanks again everyone - everything is working great with two trips on the clock.

Back