House thermostat recommendations

D-n-Tyke

Reaction score
Before the big crash of 2021 there was a large thread discussing house thermostats. We are updating some things around the house and the thermostat is on that list. I don't the best most wiz bag tech one, but would like one that is programmable, works like advertised and isn't hard to use. What are you guys happy with?

I just installed the Nest system.  It was fairly easy and I’m not a electrician.  It will walk you through the installation process.  It worked when I was done and that’s a plus. With the app my wife was able to turn it on and cool the house down as we drove home last night. I thought that was cool. 

I’ve had the Nest thermostat for a few years now and have no complaints. When I bought it, SDG&E gave a $50-75 instant rebate (can’t remember) super easy to use/program and like many others has a learn feature as well as WiFi and on/off with your phone. 

We have the Ecobee. It was a SDGE rebate/discount deal also. Works great has Alexa built in and it’s super easy to install and link to app on iPhone. With Alexa activated you have voice command to change temperature 

that was me that started the thread last year  i bought the honeywell programmable wi/fi units  i bought two different versions  one ended with 5003  the other ended with 1004  i have 6 thermostats, 3 of the main ones i use are converted.  we like turning certain ones on 30 min before we get home via our phones.  i think i paid $120-150 range for the two models  i like the lcd back lit screen as i can see it across the room.  i like the temporary mode  i set it and it will hold for 6 hours, or you can change to permanent mode

We had the basic white Nest in our last house, went with the Ecobee in our current house. I think I like the nest a little more, simpler to use and I liked being able to switch to have it run the system based off a remote temperature probe in the bedroom if desired for comfort. 

they both work just fine though. As mentioned check for rebates from your power company.  

I have a wireless Honeywell programmable. It's tied into my Google Home system, so I can control it via voice from any room in the house or from my phone anywhere in the world. Since I installed mini splits in the house, I only use it for heating in the winter. The mini splits have their own remote controls for each room and the ability to turn on only rooms that are occupied is very convenient, in addition to the amazing efficiency and huge electricity savings.

SDG&E has outdone itself in being the most expensive electric company in the US, I think they surpass Hawaiian Electric, which is quite a feat considering they have to ship all of their fuel 2500 mi. Every penny I can save on my ridiculous electric bill is well worth the investment.

I have a Honeywell WIFI.  I had one in my other house too.  Pretty simple and works.

200.gif

I have had nest for two years now, I have zero complaints, works as advertised

I have a Venstar.  A buddy is a commercial HVAC guy.  I'm not sure all the reasons, but he's not a fan of the Nest - something about cycling too often and causing premature failure of the AC units.  I don't remember all the specifics.

I have had my Venstar as per his recommendation for a few years, and I have zero complaints.

Back