Hot Rod Guys & Gals

matt86m

Reaction score
Day dreaming of a hot rod a buddy of mine is selling. Its a T bucket custom. Complete, minus motor & trans.

Tabbed for a Power Glide, was thinking about a small diesel engine for it. Its a one off custom chassis. Had a Toyota 2JZ in it. Thought a diesel would be something different (been done before, I know)

Question is: What small diesel engine (or is it motor) would work? I'm assuming a Cummins 5.9 would be too big

^^^ 4bt  4 cylinder b series turbocharged, Cummins for the win.

Thanks, quick search: Based on the same inline-cylinder block logic as the 5.9L powerplant—with two fewer cylinders of course—the 4BT (which deciphers as 4-cylinder, B-Series, Turbocharged) debuted in 1983 with two-valves-per-cylinder and made 105hp and 265 lb-ft of torque.

Also says expensive to make power. 

Go with a bmw m57, it’s a 3.0 liter twin turbo diesel that came in 2009-2011 bmws. One of the most bulletproof motors they ever built once you pull the emissions stuff off of it. There’s a lot of aftermarket support and can be made to run standalone. On stock turbos with a tune it puts it at about 380 horsepower and 600 lbft of torque all while maintaining 30+ mpg. I’m planning on putting one in my bronco. If you want something with less electronics look into a Mercedes’ om606, they came out of 1998-99 Mercedes e300 turbodiesels and also have a lot of aftermarket support. While cummins stuff is cool, both of these engines are significantly lighter, smoother (inline 6 vs inline 4) and have a better power-band than you could get with a 4bt. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If it had a 2jz in it then it’s set up for some power and I’d try to stuff an ls in it. 

I just can’t do it. Hill born injected old school motor is the only way I can see that unless it blown! Not what you want to hear but old school just deserves those horn sticking out of the top.IMO

Back