Honda 250EX registration help

maddward

Reaction score
So I purchased a 250EX a year ago for my kid at a decent price because it needed a new front spindle, ball joints, and rotor. Drove to the family's house and they told me they lost the pink so I purchased it with only a bill of sale. I did run the vin prior to see if it was stolen and it wasn't so I felt alright about it. Now trying to register it I come to find out that the couple I bought it from never registered it. The owner prior to them (original I think) apparently still owes Honda Finance $ so there's a lien on it, but they did send in a release of liability to the DMV. I reached out to who I bought it from and no response. I even sent a certified letter (AAA recommendation) and still nothing.  A call to Honda Finance said I need to contact the registered owner to fix the problem but they can't tell me who it is. I also said I'd pay the owed balance to release the lien, which I'm assuming is low since it's a 2005, but they won't accept it unless I know the exact amount owed. They wouldn't tell me if it was sent to collections either. So I got a little hot and even said "well then come repo it! I gave you my name and you know I have the vehicle" They responded with the $ is too low, we don't care"

Any advice on what I could do next would be greatly appreciated! I can DM or text the vin and or green sticker if someone could use it to help out?  Thanks

Can't the dmv tell you who the owner is? 

You need to find a shop to do work on it then have them file a lien on it and go that route....

find a clean vin 250ex frame for cheap and swap everything over on it .....maybe that would work....lthere is one on ebay for $250

Last edited by a moderator:
I have acquired several titles through a bonding agent here in NM. I bought 2 Polaris quads from a guy that still owed on them. He was in the middle of filing bankruptcy and couldn't do anything cuz it would mess up his BK and the bank wouldn't come get them so he sold them to me for almost nothin. Bond guy got me titles to both for $300 each.

He went through various insurance agents depending on convenience. Later I found out that my insurance agent could do it a lot cheaper but they probably wouldn't have skipped the steps that got me the bonded titles so quickly. Normally I think it takes a few months. He got it done for me in a couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Realbadlarry They "can't" by law and would not tell me no matter how charming I got. The girl at AAA said they couldn't tell me who the lien holder was by law either. So I started guessing and asked for a wink when I guessed right. I at least got American Honda Finance from that visit haha

How does having a shop file a lien work?

That's an idea! @Poule43

Sounds like the government doesn't want your money.  F them.

I've never had registration checked on 6+ OHVs in 20 years of riding.

Hahaha I told both DMV and Honda that. I'm trying to give you guys $ and you won't take it!? 

I just want it to be straight for if/when I ever sell it. 

Yeah.. I haven't been checked since they did a DUI check point at Ozbourne overlook. I was riding my Raptor 700R so it had to be 7-10 years ago. 

How far away was the seller.. if you have the address set up a tent in their yard until they help you out... that's what I'd do.

Side question and sorry for the hi-jack, but does anyone know where I'm supposed to put the stickers on a quad and the RZRs? The dumb thing they send you doesn't show it for the RZR... I think the quad it's the swing arm, but I usually put it under the front fender (make sure it's really clean).. figure for the RZR, maybe just on the rear of the cage??

Hope you get it solved.. I had a HELL of a time with this kind of stuff with my 2014 RZR. GD CSI helped me find the previous owner who is a ghost online and a flipper of stuff.

abc

Repair shops can put a mechanics lien on it and then file the paperwork with the dmv, if nobody responds they get it, just like a tow yard. 

I bought it in Moreno Valley and I'm in Costa Mesa. I would like to not go back.

Green sticker is on the rear axle housing on "my" quad haha

I think if I knew their first and last name Honda would work with me but until then? 

I've done this a few times, get a hold of one of the independant company that does registrations and do a lien sale on it. Place a value on it for storage (this is what you will pay tax on for registration) It will have a 30 day hold then they will issue a new title in your name. It's not hard to do.

Yeah I used to have a shop that did this for my buddies... we gave him work so he didn't charge much. No longer in contact with them, but I think these folks are right.. probably the quickest way.

Good luck.

abc

Thanks @Agricon I'll look into that next
There is a division of the DMV that handles lien sales. I believe it was a Sacramento phone number. I had to get in touch with them when I had to do a lien sale on an Rv I was storing. They were EXTREMELY knowledgeable and helpful. Much different than your typical DMV employee and experience. If you were storing the bike and haven't been paid you can do the sale yourself.

Back