homemade drive over fenders wells?

Manxaru

Reaction score
Looking to make drive over fender wells on a basic enclosed trailer. if you don't have metal fab equipment, any better ideas than shaping a  couple of 4"x6" (or appropriate size piece of wood or gluelam) and bolting them next to the stock fender wells? 

Thx. 

If you are only going over with front end, the boxes are really pretty strong. I would just make an incline for front and rear of each and drive over them.

rears may have to sit on the wells during transport, depending on what trailer I end up with....shopping for an enclosed right now, limited selection out there, but need to keep the overall length of the trailer as short as possible due to storage location (so 18' to 20' max length) 

I have to double check, but I was also thinking the tires will be like 3/4 or more on the wood support and 1/4 on the fender well. So I could make the wood support just slightly higher to reduce load on fender wells

Last edited by a moderator:
rears may have to sit on the wells during transport, depending on what trailer I end up with....shopping for an enclosed right now, limited selection out there, but need to keep the overall length of the trailer as short as possible due to storage location (so 18' to 20' max length) 

I have to double check, but I was also thinking the tires will be like 3/4 or more on the wood support and 1/4 on the fender well. So I could make the wood support just slightly higher to reduce load on fender wells
Just stagger/miter cut a bunch of 2x6s, then bridge the two cribbing piles with one 2x6 across the top. If everything is screwed/glued, probably plenty. 

If you're only getting a 18-20' trailer your back tires will not be on the fenders. 

When I ordered my trailer the salesman did not give me the correct measurement from the wheel boxes to the rear door. I also wanted the shortest trailer I could use. While the car did fit, the rear sand tires were up tight to the square corner of the boxes and would dig into the tires. I went in and cut the rear of the boxes and angled them so, one it allowed the car forwards more, and two was no longer gouging the sand tires. Now I'm happy with results. In your case this would work for drive over ramps. 

IMG_1741 (2).JPG

If you're only getting a 18-20' trailer your back tires will not be on the fenders. 
may be correct depending on what I end up with.... although on my last 18' + round nose trailer, the rear tires of the buggy were pretty close being straight above the rear wheels of the trailer...Although with that Manx I could just squeeze between the fender wheels 

Back