Holley EFI and S4D Gear indicator help

r3meyer

Reaction score
Helping a buddy finish up some loose ends on his 2022 SCU build.  One of the open items thats left is getting the gear indicator to display on the Holley dash.  Does anyone know the correct way to do this?  This is on a Terminator setup.  We have the harness from Weddle.

not sure on the holley but I did talk to the guys about the gear indictor.  3 wires coming out of the trans.  Blue is 5v input, black ground and red Voltage. Read voltage on red in every gear. should be something like 1st gear is 1 volt, 2 gear 2 volt and so on.  On my new funco they had to program the dash for the input before I could see it on the screen. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help on this, but we have no experience with the majority of these digital dash displays, we have never had to wire one up. The bottom line is that you would need to figure out what pin that signal wire needs to plug into, then program from there. I have to believe there is some instruction from the manufacture on how to do this somewhere.

I've done the wiring but not dash setup yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work setup like this video (auto street vehicle where all gears listed side by side, active gear lights up)... but maybe instead of using white as normal color, use clear and then overlay all the gears so only the active one would show? 

I know @Fullthrottleguy has done one on Holley before. I believe his method was different than shown in above video. Maybe he'll chime in.

I remember needing to add a pin to the connector at the holley , then that went to the selector at trans. Pin 24 is what keeps popping up in my head but would need to see if i have it in my notes at home from wiring the car.

Thanks guys.  We were able to get it pined out and functional on the screen.  Now just need to use that video with labels to make it more custom.

well share the love, on how you did it please

pins and programming

Thanks guys.  We were able to get it pined out and functional on the screen.  Now just need to use that video with labels to make it more custom.
Do tell for those of us wanting to complete this mod.  Thanks

This is one of the easier setup on the Holley, 

will need a input  use A12 or A13 or A3 or A4

Will need to pull in 0-5V from the ECU, and a Ground 

Check the Voltage per gear and put the Data in under a New Volt Meter Setup, 

Setup a 2nd Volt meter in the I/O 

ALL THE HOLLEY GEAR INDICATOR PLATFORMS ARE FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION,  MUST BE SETUP AS A VOLT METER, 

Scale the volt meter on the bottom as the gear number, the left will be voltage or vise versa, After this is setup in the Term-X, then you can pull it up on the dash, 

Step by step is, 

1. Go into 

• toolbox
  • Add individual config
  • Default I/O

Now use the I/O tab on top, 

The I/O input screen will show up, 

1. name the input screen whatever you want, (shifter S4)
  2. Enable box in the left, Enable the ECU Pin definition 
  3. On the Type, use 5 Volt 
  4. Then Click Configure, 

Now the Tab will show up as the Shifter setting or whatever you named it, 

• On the top drop down, scroll to the bottom to custom 5V setup
  • You will see the picture of the gauge, setup the boxes for the min-max,   min is 0 (zero),  max is 5V for 5 speed  4V for 4 speed, 
  • Then fill in the Calibration table below, for example .75-1.20 will be the voltage scale at the bottom, and on the left this area keep as 1 - for the gear indicator, 
  • on left of screen set SENSOR MIN TO 0
  • on right of screen set SENSOR MIT TO 4 volt or 5 volt, depends on the sensor on the trans, shift each gear record the voltage, 

you will need a VOLT METER and test the voltage, 1v might not equal 1st gear, might be under 1V or over 1V  

FOR FUN,  now that the gauge is setup, you can set warning light on the sensor,  just like the fuel pressue, when the box changes color,  you can set the waring for 1st gear as Yelllow, and 0 gear as Red,    

PM me if you need more help, or call me tomorrow, 

or 

Send me the File i can set up everthing but the voltage, will need that from the transaxle potentiometer from each gear selected, 

Been super busy working in Austin - 

Its pretty simple I have done it a bunch of times- the info above will get you there- note that gear dash is now using the "Albins sensor"  and outputs are different  and you should use a 10K ohm pull up resistor - I am gonna record a few videos on setting up Gear indicators, flex fuel  and prgramming custom automatic dash programs. 

My favorite is a warm up dash that changes to a Dune dash when water temp hits 160 - keeps people from prematurely wearing out expensive engines 

I have gottem away from separate light switches and that stuff lately and just have a sensor that changes the dash at night so the switches show up on the dash for lights  that are not there during the day

I also program a "drag dash" option switch on the dune dash 

.The Holley Pro dashes are pretty versatile.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the Holley harness it should also be super simple to wire, 

there is a voltage output connector, this connector has Ign, 5V ref, ground,  

This is a good area to get your 5V power for the input to the Potentiometer 

Back