High end garage floor coatings

ehall

Reaction score
Are the new poly floors worth the cost compared to epoxy? I was quoted $5.57 sq. ft for the poly. Getting an epoxy quote in an hour or so.

Are the new poly floors worth the cost compared to epoxy? I was quoted $5.57 sq. ft for the poly. Getting an epoxy quote in an hour or so.
Your final coat should always be a poly. Either polyurethane or better is polyaspartic. A good quality epoxy is a great base coat, I have done over 4000 garage floors and tons of commercial floors without issues. You should see good epoxy/poly garage floors in the $3.75-4 SF range (depending on size, concrete repairs if need & your location). I hear some guys biding the full polyaspartic at $5-8 SF. The material cost difference between epoxy and polyaspartic is around $.50 SF. So there isn't any reason to justify paying $1.57 more. If you read most polyaspartic manufactures data sheets they want an epoxy primer coat and many don't recommend going direct to concrete. I'll continue to use epoxy as our base coat, I see zero advantage to using a poly as a base coat.    

Thanks for the info. Do you work in Az?

We did a floor earlier this year in Vegas. My guys seem to always be up to go out there and work. 

Wow, just got my epoxy quote $6 bucks a sq. ft. Maybe it might be a good time for you to do some floors in Az. Apparently there is money to be made.

Wow, just got my epoxy quote $6 bucks a sq. ft. Maybe it might be a good time for you to do some floors in Az. Apparently there is money to be made.
That is a couple dollars high in AZ But price can add up depending on prep, extra coats, chip selection, large stem walls. I have gotten 6$ but normally hit at 5$ a sqft in CA.

DONT DO IT!

Get it polished and sealed. You'll thank me later.
Do you know anyone that does this?

My shop garage still gets lots of abuse, and I'd hate to spend the money on a high end epoxy look to have it get hammered and dirty, because then I'd feel like I would need to be cleaning it all the time... and I ain't got time for that lol. 

Polish and seal will only look good on new concrete.  If you have oil stains now, you will have polished and sealed in stains after.

Polish and seal will only look good on new concrete.  If you have oil stains now, you will have polished and sealed in stains after.
10 year old concrete. A few oil and grease stains.

It will look like chit.

Left of the tape is newly cut, polished, and seal concrete with old oil stains.  Right of the tape is the original "sealed" surface.

7DE50334-A204-4DEC-A5AF-79BB8CF14580.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It will look like chit.

Left of the tape is newly cut, polished, and seal concrete with old oil stains.  Right of the tape is the original "sealed" surface.

View attachment 14632
You can dye the floor with blacks,grays or browns prior  to a final polish and it would hide a lot of the stains.

Depending how deep they cut you can sometimes cut past the stain if you are going with a aggregate polish compared to a salt and pepper polish. Going deeper does cost more,,,,( that's what she said)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back