High capacity engine oil pan ( Needed or Not

Dbotelho

Reaction score
I have a mock up LS engine in my sand car I am building and I need to decide on a oil pan for it. Things to consider oil quantity, sump location , aluminum or steel, factory or aftermarket. What are most wet sump LS guys running and why. ???

You'll get 6 opinions if you ask 6 people regarding anything LS related so swim at your own risk, lol. With that said I like the 8 qt pan from a 2008 Pontiac G8 L76 6.0, it may be similar to a Camaro pan but it is different in that it doesn't have the threaded bosses on one side. I currently don't have a P/N for this pan as there have been many P/N changes, however 12640748 is the P/N that comes up frequently in a search. A call to your local GM dealer may be able to get the P/N for the OEM pan that does not have the threaded bosses on the side, but it is getting harder and harder to source them.  I find it much cleaner without the added bosses on the side. The pan on my buggy does not have them.

Get something with a full windage tray and rear sump (flywheel side). F body and aftermarket max clearance pans require cutting the windage tray (or a reduced F body tray).  If it uses GM part # 12558189, it’s full windage. 

Full windage on a buggy is basically necessary since the constant high use makes for hot ass aerated oil if the crank is constantly smashing into the oil in the sump area every time you rail a dune or hit a bump. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back