Help with info on used sandrail

Jon b

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to sandrails.  I’m looking to purchase a clean looking 4 seater rail

poat says ….     
4 seater rail buggy 1700cc VW Engine Runs Good clean Florida tittle street legal Open to Trades of same value

looking for advise on what to look for when I go test drive it.  They are asking 11k for it.  There’s not too many out there.  

thank you 

jon 

752939C4-22E2-46A7-8133-BA81991EC5F3.jpeg

If you're in FL then you might be limited but I wouldn't pay $5k for that. I'm in CA so sandrail market here is abundant. Maybe better to transport one back? Sorry not much help, I know. A round trip plus transport may be cheaper? 

I had that same car with a 215 aluminum v8 and bus box many years ago. Don't remember the name of the manufacturer. I would guess the frame was originally built sometime in the early 80's. Mine liked to crack where the front beam clamps are welded to the frame. We would go out for the weekend, come home, weld up the cracks and do it all again. Check the frame for signs of cracking. Don't have any idea what it's worth.

I too think 11k is a bit steep, even in this crazy market......

I like budget cars but yeh agree 11k is pretty steep for that especially with vw power. 5-7k in this market 

Way too much. Probably a $3k to $5k car. Find something out west and have it shipped. I paid $500 last year to ship a car from Texas to CA. 

it looks like a Chenoweth chassis, 

I also feel around 5-6k, one reason is the motor is a 1700, does not really sound like it has to many hi end parts,  also what is the trans i bet a type 1,  

I think for a 11 you can find a mid travel beam front end, water cooled motor and a 002 trans for that price,  

1700 is not a normal engine size, but they did make those in a Type iv.

Over-priced.  Check out Phoenix Craigslist.

As others said: way too much.

I also cringe when I see helmetless kids in the back seat of that chassis with those headbangers right next to them...

Back