HELP Pulling Subi 2.5 from 091

JBL

Reaction score
Got everything visually disconnected from motor.  Pulled the 4 bolts from plate/091 to motor and am able to pull the motor clear from plate about 1" and thats it!  I have a jack under the oil pan and my 2 sons and I are trying to wiggle it off and no luck.  I tried pulling clutch in but that just holds the motor even tighter.   What am I missing gents?

I would double check every bolt just to be sure. Sometimes you have to wiggle them up and down as well. 

Got everything visually disconnected from motor.  Pulled the 4 bolts from plate/091 to motor and am able to pull the motor clear from plate about 1" and thats it!  I have a jack under the oil pan and my 2 sons and I are trying to wiggle it off and no luck.  I tried pulling clutch in but that just holds the motor even tighter.   What am I missing gents?
I read it as your pulling the motor from the adapter plate. 

I'f that's the case it's not going to come out. 

You need to remove the engine with the adapter plate.  The plate comes off with the engine as if it was part of the engine. 

All you need to remove is the 4 nuts from the studs that come thru the transmission bellhousing. Then push the clutch pedal. This will help push the engine off the trans.  Wiggle the engine and it should come out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I read it as your pulling the motor from the adapter plate. 

I'f that's the case it's not going to come out. 

You need to remove the engine with the adapter plate.  The plate comes off with the engine as if it was part of the engine. 

All you need to remove is the 4 nuts from the studs that come thru the transmission bellhousing. Then push the clutch pedal. This will help push the engine off the trans.  Wiggle the engine and it should come out. 
Above is how I’ve always done it. 
Adapter plate stays on the motor and only 4 nuts are removed on the studs that stay on the adapter. The separation is between the trans and the adapter plate. 
Photo is of a V8, but same VW concept with the adapter plate. 

F9EE465A-DE7A-4D50-A5F4-762A712654FA.jpeg

If everything is disconnected, keep working it.

Sometimes they can be a biatch.

Fog and Grease Monkey are correct. The adaptor plate stays on the motor as it can't be removed until the clutch and flywheel have been removed. The 4 nuts that are on the studs on the transmission side of the bell housing need to be removed. Then the motor will come out.

Reactions: JBL
Thanks all!!  First time attempting and had no idea adapter plate stays with the motor.  So yup the plate is still on trans and will attempt to remove later today. Should I bolt back the motor to plate before removing?? On my 091 I just looked at it and see 3 threads studs with nuts on each I dont see a 4th where the starter was.  The two bottom left and right have plate welded to frame which help support and mount transaxle to car. So do you know if the bolts going through transaxle is threaded through or can I just remove the nuts?

Thanks all!!  First time attempting and had no idea adapter plate stays with the motor.  So yup the plate is still on trans and will attempt to remove later today. Should I bolt back the motor to plate before removing?? On my 091 I just looked at it and see 3 threads studs with nuts on each I dont see a 4th where the starter was.  The two bottom left and right have plate welded to frame which help support and mount transaxle to car. So do you know if the bolts going through transaxle is threaded through or can I just remove the nuts?
Should be able to remove the 4 nuts from the studs (one is holding the starter on as well) and sort out the adapter plate once you have the motor out.  I'm sure the alignment of that adapter plate to the motor is FUBAR right now anyway.

Reactions: FOG
i use a blow torch, it will get anything out, 

Thanks guys got it to separate just waiting for muscle to come and help balance it down to ground!  Love this Forum 

Thanks guys got it to separate just waiting for muscle to come and help balance it down to ground!  Love this Forum 
Dont worry this is pretty common, a lot of people try to remove the motor with the adapter still on the trans, 

A little extra muscle is always helpful. 

Back