Help 091 to 2D swap

JBL

Reaction score
Before I take the plunge i could use some guidance.  Those that have done it, what will I need aside from new clutch plates to go from my 091 to a 2D?  

you will new axles because the 2d is narrower than the 091 make new mounts motor and possible transa longer shifter rod

Reactions: JBL
The ring gear is 10" in the 2d vs. 7" in 091. You will need to reposition the motor and get mounts for a 2d as your axle/cv angle will increase otherwise. As said 2d is 2" narrower than the 091 so need longed axles. 

Thanks gents, I think Im SOL for my idea as my motor is already pushed rear as far as it can go.  Will continue my search and reach out to SCU.

Thanks gents, I think Im SOL for my idea as my motor is already pushed rear as far as it can go.  Will continue my search and reach out to SCU.
I don’t think you have to push your motor back. You would need some space by the back seats.  Post up pics of what you have and we can see what you’re working with. Depending on where your trans sits in the cage you may not have to raise your motor. The 2d needs more ground clearance than the 091. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 Post up pics of what you have
If possible, from top down as this will show what angle you now have on your cv's.  I do know my son's car, a Sand Limo, the angle imo is already at the max with his 091. To do a 2d will take a complete frame modification in the rear.

If possible, from top down as this will show what angle you now have on your cv's.  I do know my son's car, a Sand Limo, the angle imo is already at the max with his 091. To do a 2d will take a complete frame modification in the rear.
With the suspension fully drooped, since that’s where CV angle is most limited. :biggrin:

Thanks and will get pics up late next month when my schedule permits and truly appreciate the suggestions and help.

you will new axles because the 2d is narrower than the 091 make new mounts motor and possible transa longer shifter rod
Unless you have 930 cv's on the car and then get the 2D with 934's and add the adapter sold by Alper to go from 934 to 930 cv's on the trans side.  They happen to make up the exact amount of space needed to keep your axles.   This also makes it nice if you plan to upgrade to 934's down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have 930 cv's on the car and then get the 2D with 934's and add the adapter sold by Alper to go from 934 to 930 cv's on the trans side.  They happen to make up the exact amount of space needed to keep your axles.   This also makes it nice if you plan to upgrade to 934's down the road.
They work well and will allow more plunge, 

Also make sure to put the trans brackets on the same side,  this will allow the trans to slide back to remove, if on the opposite side at the bottom of the trans - you would have to lift the trans up to remove it, 

you will need a Type 1 starter, IMI-101N or IMI-101 

Depending on the year of the 2D, some had 8'' clutches, if a 9'' might have to clearance the inside where the stud mounts push out in the bellhousing, and near the cross shaft

Back