Header choices?

RickyD

Reaction score
I got a new (to me) buggy last year , mid , LS , 4S , Hotrails custom. It has always had twin turbo but after driving it I decided I needed a Whipple that is on order and am going completely through the motor now. What I will need is a set of headers. I built the headers for my last car but I am too impatient now to build them. What are some brand  options and also is it going to make as much difference to have equal length primaries as on a N/A car. Summitt has a nice looking set of stainless unequal length for turbos but I figure I could flip them over and use with mufflers if they fit the frame. Thoughts??

Another vote for Hot Head Headers. They've built 3 or 4 sets for us and they are badass. Good quality and will do whatever style you want. Also very fairly priced

If I needed a custom set of headers I would take it to Greg @ REF.  He did all of the headers for our drag racing stuff & done just about everything under the sun.  He is in Kingman, AZ. 

Another vote for hothead. Buy local made in america

Last edited by a moderator:
And to address common misconception: no one builds an off the shelf “tuned header” or “equal length”...equal length to what?

the length of your primary directly relates to displacement port shape lift and duration and desired rpm range.

the length of the primary is tuned to expected peak rpm based on volume of air moving through pipe. When the cylinder fires gasses go down the pipe and create a negative pressure cavity. The exhaust gases hit the collector or merge and send a shockwave back up the pipe. When the cylinder fires again it sends another pulse down. Too long a primary and they collide too short and the pulse reverberates back into the head. 

A true tuned header requires math, engine builder input and alot of money in time. 

It helps to have equal VOLUME primaries, not necessarily equal length, bends mandrel marks etc can all contribute to pulse speed. 

Everyone wants a tuned header but everyone wants chinese summit racing crap prices

And to address common misconception: no one builds an off the shelf “tuned header” or “equal length”...equal length to what?

the length of your primary directly relates to displacement port shape lift and duration and desired rpm range.

the length of the primary is tuned to expected peak rpm based on volume of air moving through pipe. When the cylinder fires gasses go down the pipe and create a negative pressure cavity. The exhaust gases hit the collector or merge and send a shockwave back up the pipe. When the cylinder fires again it sends another pulse down. Too long a primary and they collide too short and the pulse reverberates back into the head. 

A true tuned header requires math, engine builder input and alot of money in time. 

It helps to have equal VOLUME primaries, not necessarily equal length, bends mandrel marks etc can all contribute to pulse speed. 

Everyone wants a tuned header but everyone wants chinese summit racing crap prices
Preach brother 

On a side note, are you going to be selling your twin turbo set up? I'm interested if so....

Back