Have to replace ignition key in Motorhome

Cookie

Reaction score
Short story, someone broke into my truck and stole my Motorhomes keys.  I only had one set.  I need to find a replacement key for the motorhome.

2005 Pace Arrow, workhorse chassis, GMC key. I need the key code.

Chevy dealers have been zero luck

RV dealers no luck

My next option is to start searching workhorse chassis dealers.  Any ideas?

All the You tube videos show you have to remove the entire Key Ignition unit, but you need the key to do so.

I can't be the only one this has happened to, any ideas.  I would hate to use a screwdriver just so I don't miss the next trip.....................ha

Short story, someone broke into my truck and stole my Motorhomes keys.  I only had one set.  I need to find a replacement key for the motorhome.

RV dealers no luck

All the You tube videos show you have to remove the entire Key Ignition unit, but you need the key to do so.

I can't be the only one this has happened to, any ideas.  I would hate to use a screwdriver just so I don't miss the next trip.....................ha
pics? im thinking you could use a drift and knock in a small pin

RV dealers no luck

quick read shows you have to remove the steering wheel with no key

OK, get a gm key,  wake up at 3am  go down to the local mailbox and wait for the tweakers to show up to steal the mail...ask them how to shave down a key....see if that works...

Find a stainless bump key set. Sometimes called jiggler keys. They work so good that I've used them as a primary key for some things until I got around to fixing and or changing the lock cylinder. You'll be able to turn the ignition on and then remove the cylinder like you would normally if you had the key. If you can find a set like these what I've found to be the most effective way to use them is to wiggle the key side to side while applying pressure in the direction you want to turn the lock while also pulling the jiggler in the direction out of the lock cylinder without actually pulling it all the way out 

IMG_20230203_015708.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
?:
W8000444 - Key - Ignition Lock (Uncoded) - Workhorse Parts (ultrarvproducts.com)

"This key comes blank and must be cut to your specific vehicle. If you do not have a key to copy and need the key cut code please e-mail us a copy of your registration and license and we will submit for the code from Workhorse on your behalf."
Would be worth calling them

"
Found another site as well, www.workhorseparts.com.  I sent them my registration and a copy of my DL this morning, they say they can send me the code.  Either way, these are both great sites for parts as well.  Should know in a few hours..........super optimistic.

I just clicked on this link, I think they might be the same company, the website looks identical.

Thise jiggler keys could be a backup option

Last edited by a moderator:
Update......... I have the code, Chevy dealer has the key............but doesn't have that file to cut the key.  Waiting to hear back from a locksmith.

another update, can't find someone that can cut the key, even when I have the code...........Locksmiths are hard to get a hold of.  Chevy dealer doesn't have those files, ugh.

There is a locksmith in Norco that seems to know his stuff... busy b's on hamner..951-735-2500 , he said he can but without the car he can't guarantee it... $30.00.. he's only there till 1 on staturday...

you could also call buena park lock and key  he is a super old timer and may be able to do it

i agree  lock smiths are disappearing through attrition 

Got it all sorted out today., I always like follow up posts

I ordered blank keys; dealership didn't have the right ones.  Ordered from Workhorseparts.com, they also provided the key code.  Awesome to deal with.

Called around, followed recommendations.  Guess what, there is a great locksmith store in Murrieta, only 11 miles from my house.  Safe and Secure Locksmith Service - Home Page (mysslock.com)  very easy to work with.  The code is not a generic code and most didn't have the file so they could cut the key, but they did.

We are good to go, three new ignition keys.  Total cost for keys and cutting them $45.00.  I did pay for overnighting the blanks from Seattle area ($90.00)

Crisis adverted, time to load up and head out to Mother G next Tuesday.

Glad to hear it worked out. Remember Abe's Lock and Key in Montrose? I took my only set of RV keys to Sterling and had him make me 5 complete sets. One stays stashed in the RV, one set in each of our vehicles, and one set at home. Down to 3 sets now. Damn ex-wife probably still has one.

Glad to hear it worked out. Remember Abe's Lock and Key in Montrose? I took my only set of RV keys to Sterling and had him make me 5 complete sets. One stays stashed in the RV, one set in each of our vehicles, and one set at home. Down to 3 sets now. Damn ex-wife probably still has one.
I do remember them, super stoked to find a real locksmith near me.

I was talking to a friend last night about this, and he said the same thing, spares everywhere.  I am 55 years old, this is the first set of keys that have been lost or stolen in my life.............crazy. 

Back