Has anyone ever burned E85 in a smudge pot?

Yes , it burned fast and we didn't think it was as warm/hot

I thought you can burn used oil and just needed a little gas to get it going.

I thought you can burn used oil and just needed a little gas to get it going.
You are correct, but by this time in the season I have no more used oil.

Just looking for cheap alternatives.

You are correct, but by this time in the season I have no more used oil.

Just looking for cheap alternatives.
I've got about 45-50 gal of contaminated diesel and used oil. You can have as much as you like for free. It's in a 60 gal barrel, but I have a smaller barrel if you just want 20-30 gal or so. I'm located in Santee, so you'll have to swing by here to get it.

I have a friend that burns canola oil in his and it burns clean, And if you buy it in bulk It is cheaper then buying firewood in a plastic wrap at the grocery store .I know a few friends that buy firewood at the grocery store .

We had somebody bring used french fry oil from a Rotten Ronnies one time. Burnt real clean but the stoned kids from next door wandered into our camp looking for the dudes that had the Mac Daddy D's

Used Oil is dirty compared fuel.  No soot with fuel. But it burns faster.
Exactly i use mine often in backyard during the winter and been doing so for about 12-13 years and rarely burned oil.Oil just makes a nasty mess inside and leaves a mess inside too that has to get cleaned out.Normally i burn regular gas burns cleaner and not as bad as most think it is.I have used e85 too and it burned quicker for sure and heat was lower but still clean too.

For desert trips i take some diesel as it burns warmer and does burn longer per gallon.Plus you can add it while its running.

I've got about 45-50 gal of contaminated diesel and used oil. You can have as much as you like for free. It's in a 60 gal barrel, but I have a smaller barrel if you just want 20-30 gal or so. I'm located in Santee, so you'll have to swing by here to get it.
I have the same amount in OC if anyone needs some up here

Find some one who can get red diesel. Try going to LA harbor and buy some. Roughly about a dollar a gal cheaper. Just don't get caught with it in your on road vehicle.

I thought only diesel and other oil based fluids could be burned in a smudge pot?

Gas/E85 won't just burn out of control?

I thought only diesel and other oil based fluids could be burned in a smudge pot?

Gas/E85 won't just burn out of control?
Nope and like Greasemonkey said above, E85 actually sucks balls in the smudgie. Kevin or someone had some that needed to be burned and we filled the smudgie with it... burned cold... like my flashlight put out as much light and almost as much heat. Got a buddy that only burns unleaded in it and it's super clean, no stank and no soot but it gets 1/2 as much burn time as used oil topped off with a gallon of gas to get it going. (4 hrs vs 8 hrs)

Back