Ground straps

Markcsand

Reaction score
Who uses them, do they work keeping static and dust down and what material is used? 

I have seen some of the new funcos using this strap. Not sure of the material used. 

I would be interested in this as well.  after about 10 seconds out of the trailer mine is covered in dust.  some dont seem to show it as bad as others.....

Any ground strap can be used. I have one on my car because of the static electricity generated from following close. Oddly some people never feel a thing, I was getting shocked so bad it was zapping my ears from the speakers in my helmet. Couldn't touch the shifter or turn brake without getting shocked, and I wear gloves. That's me in my FUNCO. My first two FUNCO never had a problem, the last two, big time shocks. For this, they work great for me.

As for dust control, it may help, but very little. 

Be prepared to be told by everyone you have something hanging from your car. :)

your motor is 80% controlled by grounds, 

Grounds straps need to be used,

must run a ground strap from the cylinder heads to the battery or close by, this is a must 

your motor is 80% controlled by grounds, 

Grounds straps need to be used,

must run a ground strap from the cylinder heads to the battery or close by, this is a must 
They're talking about a strap from the chassis to THE ground...dirt, sand, earth, etc.

I've never understood the ground strap theories. Why would the 2 inch wide rubber strap dangling from the car ground out the car but not the 4 big a$$ rubber tires on each corner :dunno:  

I had one on a funco. Only thing it does (that I noticed) is get people yelling at you "something is hanging from your car!" as they try and stop you and point wildly :lol:  

I've never been shocked in any car like the dude above but maybe it helps with that. I always pictured it more as a I "checked every box" on a new build from funco and got this thing dangling from the center of my car :lol:  

(And yes grant, if you read this, I will pay for the rubber dangler when I build a new car  :classic_tongue: )

Ive asked people that have them what it's for and they insist it keeps the dust down to a minimum.... I think it's more of an attention getter than anything 

image.png

I know it Looks like a rubber strap, but is is conductive.  Iirc the rubber part is simply to provide firmness to keep the strap on the ground.   Rubber tires are insulative.  That is why you get a shock when you touch it and are grounded. 

I do find this an interesting thing.  In automobiles Furds are the worst and Doges second.  

There are many things that shock me out in the dunes. My sand car getting dusty, not so much. I look at it like it's supposed to get dusty if I use it, just like a boat will probable get wet if I use it as intended. Now as far as having something hanging under my sand car, I do appreciate people bringing that to my attention. That is simply something not designed into it.

I've never understood the ground strap theories. Why would the 2 inch wide rubber strap dangling from the car ground out the car but not the 4 big a$$ rubber tires on each corner :dunno:  
It's not rubber.  It's typically woven metal.  Used to discharge static to ground.  Commonly used on city busses....to remove liability, I asssssume.

Back