Great time to service trailer brakes and hubs.

Squatcher

Reaction score
Guys lets not forget about Trailer maintenance while in the off season. What all do you guys do for servicing your trailer.  Well new to me trailer this Jan so figured to take apart wheels and see what was going on in there.  was loosing brake fluid.   I found Bearing were well packed and in good shape.  All the pads were cracking and one bad brake cyl.   Replaced all the backing plates with new and repacked bearings. Hopefully all my braking issues are fixed on this one.   I have to replace the batteries in the trailer for new this summer so I know I have some good batts for season.   New tires went on with tire pressure monitors.  Also going though and checking all the bolts I see and check for any loose ones.  Got a wash and wax last week so I think I should be trailer good for next season.  What do you guys do every year and every trip?

I grease the bearings and install new seals every summer.  Look at the brakes while it is apart.

Also grease the suspension every summer.

Every trip?  Just an inspection.

But!!!  I will say, I lost a wheel bearing and had to replace an axle this past dune season.  

I took to a local place to do the work.

I asked what they charge to do the bearings. He said $100 an axle, that includes grease and seals.  Obviously parts are more if they find something else.

Takes me a full day at home in Phoenix in the heat to do it.

I will pay the $300 for them to do it every year now.

Did ours last week new seals and adjusted brakes, ready for Utah :hapy:

I grease the bearings and install new seals every summer.  Look at the brakes while it is apart.

But!!!  I will say, I lost a wheel bearing and had to replace an axle this past dune season.  

I asked what they charge to do the bearings. He said $100 an axle, that includes grease and seals.  Obviously parts are more if they find something else.

I was going to DIY my flatbed as but took it to a trailer place in Riverside and got new wiring 100% front to back, 6 new brakes and one new brake drum, all new seals and bearings repacked, one bad leaf spring hanger cut off and replacement welded on. All that for $650 cash deal. Taking my enclosed there soon.

I was going to DIY my flatbed as but took it to a trailer place in Riverside and got new wiring 100% front to back, 6 new brakes and one new brake drum, all new seals and bearings repacked, one bad leaf spring hanger cut off and replacement welded on. All that for $650 cash deal. Taking my enclosed there soon.
No way it pays tp do that yourself for that price.    A little Maintenance goes a long way rather than being stuck on the side of the road.  I have driven past a few trailers with the hub red hot and bearings squealing  - you pull up and point and say " better check your wheel" - most just loom at you  ...

Last edited by a moderator:
No way it pays tp do that yourself for that price.    A little Maintenance goes a long way rather than being stuck on the side of the road.  I have driven past a few trailers with the hub red hot and bearings squealing  - you pull up and point and say " better check your wheel" - most just loom at you  ...
sounds like a fair price for sure.    

I have so much stuff to get done I have a mobile wrench come out for $50 per hour.   He was there head Mechanic at Guesser brothers. Anyone in phoenix that needs a mobile guy for any wrench stuff let me know.   He does my season prep on offroad stuff and trailers.   He also has done plenty on my cars and other projects. 

sounds like a fair price for sure.    

I have so much stuff to get done I have a mobile wrench come out for $50 per hour.   He was there head Mechanic at Guesser brothers. Anyone in phoenix that needs a mobile guy for any wrench stuff let me know.   He does my season prep on offroad stuff and trailers.   He also has done plenty on my cars and other projects. 
Which side of the valley?

My boat brakes are not happy. I think I lost the master cylinder got every thing adjusted and took it out. They dragged after the first couple of miles and started to over heat. Had to remove the bleeders to relive the break pressure. Fully thing is they bleed fine. 

What's the name/location of the local shop?  TIA.

Back