Gray area midboard hubs

Rixjohnson

Reaction score
Doing summer maintenance on my gray area midboard hubs,after installing hubs onto the arms,is it normal for the hub to be hard to spin by hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you tighten the CV bolts to? I torque to 70, 85, 95lb/ft on every car I prep. I also do them on the vise and spin the hub after each pass. 

It depends on how hard and what bearing/race is in the hub.

Working with Bruce the owner for about 10 years now and have seen many changes, the big issue is the bearings, first bearings from Tatum and others used where a China bearing that the cage dug into the race, so they wanted light torque for them to embed into the race, then they had to use a Timken Bearing when the China bearings shut down, this you went to 100lbs to 110lbs and no difference in feel from 60lbs.

Then Bruce had bearings made in India, that had the quality close to the Timken, this lasted for about 5 years, they ran out somtime last year, the India bearings was really good and was imported by Bruce owner of Gray Area, 

Sorry but I forget what he said about the new bearings being used, it has been a couple of months now, 

The Gray Area has a plate on the CV bolt head side?  if it does this will help tighten up the hub with less torque. if you do not have the plate in the front, the bolts will sink into the aluminum and if that is the case, Bruce wants you to torque to 100lbs then back off to 60-70lbs, 

If you can spin them freely then you do not have enough preload, they should be hard to spin by hand, almost will need a small bar. 

The bearings are used for a excavator pivot arm, 

It depends on how hard and what bearing/race is in the hub.

Working with Bruce the owner for about 10 years now and have seen many changes, the big issue is the bearings, first bearings from Tatum and others used where a China bearing that the cage dug into the race, so they wanted light torque for them to embed into the race, then they had to use a Timken Bearing when the China bearings shut down, this you went to 100lbs to 110lbs and no difference in feel from 60lbs.

Then Bruce had bearings made in India, that had the quality close to the Timken, this lasted for about 5 years, they ran out somtime last year, the India bearings was really good and was imported by Bruce owner of Gray Area, 

Sorry but I forget what he said about the new bearings being used, it has been a couple of months now, 

The Gray Area has a plate on the CV bolt head side?  if it does this will help tighten up the hub with less torque. if you do not have the plate in the front, the bolts will sink into the aluminum and if that is the case, Bruce wants you to torque to 100lbs then back off to 60-70lbs, 

If you can spin them freely then you do not have enough preload, they should be hard to spin by hand, almost will need a small bar. 

The bearings are used for a excavator pivot arm, 
Thanks ,J Alper.the hubs did come with the plate on the outside ,they are hard to spin by hand,but are smooth when spinning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a preferred or spec for the wheel bearing grease?

Back