GPS equipment tracking

Kraut_n_Rice

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Our company is looking into tracking units that will go out for rental.  So, I've been tasked with looking into sourcing some of the equipment options.

Theft is not the primary goal here, as we will know who has the machines.  This isn't something that is likely to be stolen, and part of the rental contract is them insuring it. 

What we are looking for is a general location, geo fence capability, but also something that can track engine hours.  Location viewable via phone app and PC/web.  We would like to be able to help the customer maintain our assets better.  With that, the unit need to be hard wired into the machine.  We can use it's batter for power, and use either an ignition power output, or CAN if that's an option.  Preferer that it is IP rated to withstand being mounted outside.

Let me know what you have... TIA

Verizon has a pretty decent simple 3 wire box. The software that goes along with it is painful. Cheapest option.

Can’t go wrong with Cat product link, even on non cat equipment.  I believe PL240 is the model of the ones we use on non cat gear. But again the software, vision link is terrible unless you have someone managing it full time.

“Activate Machines” is software I had a part in designing for the loop 202 project a few years back. I just wanted something simple to track hours/location/ and all aspects of maintenance and repair history. It does just that. And sounds like what your after, it works with any hardware tracker.

I manage equipment for a fairly large company, (not activate) but I use there product.
I talk way better than I type, give me a call 916 584 5513

I just seen this on Instagram maybe it’ll work for you. 

1FC21C04-BC13-4771-8326-403F7549E9B8.jpeg

Thanks for the replies.

The engine hours would just be to monitor usage.  Not really to confirm actual maintenance is being done.  Most of our rentals are 30-60 days.

Back