GM rumors regarding an 8.3L Duramax. 600hp

It's legit.

Buddy of mine does R&D testing on future generations of trucks.

Up and down the hills here in AZ under max load.

Let's just say that new motor is snapping other components.  :)

It's legit.

Buddy of mine does R&D testing on future generations of trucks.

Up and down the hills here in AZ under max load.

Let's just say that new motor is snapping other components.  :)
Hole e chit!!!

But...but....sleepy Joe and Newscum are banning these gross polluters.

I'd imagine they were bringing it to market for the recently re-introduced 4500+ line of trucks.  This would allow them more power in a de-rated state than the chassis cabs usually come with.

The 4500+ is 350hp where as the pick up is 445

F-series chassis cab is only 330hp vs the pick up's HO version at 500.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine they were bringing it to market for the recently re-introduced 4500+ line of trucks.  This would allow them more power in a de-rated state than the chassis cabs usually come with.

The 4500+ is 350hp where as the pick up is 445

F-series chassis cab is only 330hp vs the pick up's HO version at 500.
Exactly.  Last year I bought a 4x4 Super C on the International/GM 6500 chassis.  It gets 350/700 HP/TQ as all 4500+ are (understandably) derated.  Honestly, it does darn good and doesn't mind a 20-24' trailer (even the tank of a trailer that I had for the Funco, with water/fuel/Funco it was 12k+ lbs).  But a 8.3 D'max at say 450/900 would be reaaaal nice in this chassis/RV.  If this becomes reality in the next 2-3 years I could see trading the RV up to get that drivetrain and hopefully a dash/interior refresh (the 4500+ run the previous gen, like 2017ish work truck dash, door cards, seats etc.).  Of course, I'll prob be an idiot and just buy another pusher before then. 

But I want factory 600 hp. :lol:
#metoo

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't matter once they push fuel to $10.00 a gallon. 
Bigger doesn't always mean thirstier.  My 8.9L ISL 40' coach that weighed ~42k lbs got 7 MPG give or take at most .5 MPG depending on hills, trailer or not, etc.  My 11.9L ISX 40' coach that was closer to 44-45k got... 7 MPG give or take at most .5 MPG.  My brain hurts too much from work today to really think it through, but I assume it has something to do with operating more around the peak torque RPM vs. peak horsepower RPM.  BSFC is going to be best at peak TQ, so if you're generally riding the TQ of the big motor vs. having to spin the smaller motor it can make up for the displacement... or something?   :compute: :confused:

-TJ

Bigger doesn't always mean thirstier.  My 8.9L ISL 40' coach that weighed ~42k lbs got 7 MPG give or take at most .5 MPG depending on hills, trailer or not, etc.  My 11.9L ISX 40' coach that was closer to 44-45k got... 7 MPG give or take at most .5 MPG.  My brain hurts too much from work today to really think it through, but I assume it has something to do with operating more around the peak torque RPM vs. peak horsepower RPM.  BSFC is going to be best at peak TQ, so if you're generally riding the TQ of the big motor vs. having to spin the smaller motor it can make up for the displacement... or something?   :compute: :confused:

-TJ
Yep.  A larger engine operating at the same "power" as a smaller engine will typically be more efficient...considering it would be in the upper level of the smaller engines range.  This changes a little if RPM has to come into equation where you need to be at Xrpm constant, like in a genset.  When the revs get up there the smaller engine can be better.  

We run into this with our equipment.  We have to play the RPM game because they are driving hydraulics and need a certain amount of flow from a pump.  We can't always just step up to the next size pump easily (typically because of space).  So, we have to spin the smaller one faster.

Back