Gen 4 Funco upgrade or new car

onanysunday

Reaction score
So my 2005 Gen 4 has the Nissan V6 with approx 485 HP. I have added the S4 and now 934s with big axles. Back of car boxed in and super strong. Also done a ton of work beefing up the trailing arms and pivots. It is built like a tank. Rode in a newer 1000 hp car and really gave me the bug for more power. What If I took this car and tore it down. Went to a V8 and single turbo. Would build the motor and fab everything myself. I could run the same intercooler and engine oil cooler. Even my big crazy air filter with Centri pre-cleaner everyone laughs at. Not sure how big of shocks I could add. Guessing 3"? 3.5s probably not clear? Then I could go to the bigger rear tires as well. How much power can the S4 reliably handle? 800 and still live? With the motor I could still use the Holley computer to run it. Would probably set it up to run flex fuel like I do now. What say you. It is a 2 seater set up now and I would put a pair of nice seats in it as well. Of course new powder and color. This would be a down the road project. Or sell it and build a new one? Yes I like to punish myself with projects. Makes me happy. 

20191015_083918.jpg

20191026_171124 (1).jpg

20180606_111034.jpg

Also guessing my car is around 2400-2500 lbs. With the new setup not sure the additional weight with bigger rear tires, 2 more cylinders, and bigger shocks.   From what I have heard the newer Funcos are 2950-3200 lbs. Thinking I would be lighter since the body work is minimal on my car vs the newer ones. Lighter is better. Plus after adding the microstubs it is wider in the rear. Not sure compared to the new ones in width and would need to measure. It works really well. I had it on a deckover trailer last week and just a couple of inches on each side to the rails. 

20220318_170238.jpg

hmmm, This chart says 750 hp max. How much bigger is the S4D to try fit in there. Think those trannies are around $17k IIRC. Or am I remembering that wrong? Then sell my S4. 

Thing I might do first is turn up the boost. Only running 12psi with a conservative tune. With the flex fuel I am thinking another 5-7 pounds would be pretty easy. Maybe 100 more HP. Still not V8 torque though.  I do know the bottom end can handle 700 HP. 

hmmm, This chart says 750 hp max. How much bigger is the S4D to try fit in there. Think those trannies are around $17k IIRC. Or am I remembering that wrong? Then sell my S4. 
What some people don’t realize is that the S4 has the same ring and pinion as the 2D. So that will be your weak link. 
S4D would be a better choice for long term reliability. 

What some people don’t realize is that the S4 has the same ring and pinion as the 2D. So that will be your weak link. 

Not 100% correct.

Depends on the ratio.  

Weddle offers a 4.63 ratio that has much more pinon engagement (deeper) which gives more strength and longevity.

You can't run this same R&P in the 2D.

Both the S4 and 2D have a 10" R&P, but there are differences.

Would S4D handle more power?  Sure.  It has a bigger R&P.

Reactions: FOG
You have always struck me as a person that enjoys the build and results of it. Not sure buying new and drive will be as overall satisfying for you. 

I would imagine you would've outgrown that intercooler.  It might be ok for 500hp, but 800 is a different story.

I would imagine you would've outgrown that intercooler.  It might be ok for 500hp, but 800 is a different story.
Yeah, I would talk with JR at Extreme intercoolers. Certainly could put something bigger if necessary. That intercooler put me 30 degrees above ambient with the current setup. Of course more boost more heat. But with a big V8 what boost would be needed. All good questions. 

IIRC the car has a Kennedy stage two dual disc. Thinking more HP with what I have will require a stage 3 or 4. 

Not 100% correct.

Depends on the ratio.  

Weddle offers a 4.63 ratio that has much more pinon engagement (deeper) which gives more strength and longevity.

You can't run this same R&P in the 2D.

Both the S4 and 2D have a 10" R&P, but there are differences.

Would S4D handle more power?  Sure.  It has a bigger R&P.
Doesn't the S4D also have the bigger clutch?

Turn it up as much as you think it can take and go from there. I seem to remember you deciding you wanted a Subaru powered car. How long did that last, 1/2 a trip?? :classic_laugh: . If the Nissan blows up at full boost then Look at boosted LS motors. At least that's the direction I'd head.

Yeah, I would talk with JR at Extreme intercoolers. Certainly could put something bigger if necessary. That intercooler put me 30 degrees above ambient with the current setup. Of course more boost more heat. But with a big V8 what boost would be needed. All good questions. 
More boost is more heat when increasing psi, and in your scenario It's more boost as in more volume.  It could create a restriction when trying to make 5psi on a V8 vs a V6.  Then to make 5psi at the manifold, you would need some degree of more pressure at the intercooler inlet.

Right now is a really good time to sell and not a good time to buy. You will get top $ for that car but you will pay top $ for a gen 6. Our turbo Honda gen 4 at 10 psi was faster than our 525 ls3. We ran E85 and had the ability to turn the Honda up to 20. They handled the same in my opinion. We put a stroker blower motor in our V8 gen 4 and it completely ruined the handling. The motor broke and I swapped in a turnkey 525 Ls3 and it was gas and go which was nice. 

Back