Gen 1 sequoia info

Sausage450r

Reaction score
Im thinking about consolidating vehicles. I have a jeep and a back up suv that im thinking of selling and getting A gen 1 sequoia 4x4 as an overland toy. 

My understanding 01-04 are 240hp and 4 speed manual shifting transfer case w/neutral

05-07 are 285hp and 5 speed. Manual shift transfer case

07+ are all push button 4wd

I really have my eye on a clean 2002, i prefer 05-06 but want some info 

-i have been told the 4 speed tranny had some issues? Is this true

-since the transfer case has a neutral, can i flat tow this without burning up the trans (lots of conflicting information. Some say yes, some say no)

-how do these perform off road? 

I had an 06 tundra and didnt care for it much (got horrible mileage felt like ford ranger small). The drivetrain was great though, and i was happy with it off road

-since the transfer case has a neutral, can i flat tow this without burning up the trans (lots of conflicting information. Some say yes, some say no)

I had an 06 tundra and didnt care for it much (got horrible mileage felt like ford ranger small). The drivetrain was great though, and i was happy with it off road
 I know the FJ Cruiser and 4 runners that have a manual T-Case can not be flat towed. I know when you read up on marlincrawler or pirate4x4 for every guy that says you can you find a few more that have grenaded a T-Case and say no.

You will get the same crappy MPG you did with the Tundra but really anoverlanding/off road truck or SUV is never getting good milage. 

Probably need to beef up the suspension if you start adding weight. 

Is 08 when they went to Independent suspension in the rear ? Stay with an axle if you are overlanding. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty set at 07 and under (gen1) the flat tow isn't a deal breaker but would be nice.

not really worried about mileage. Its not a daily driver just a toy. My jeep gets about 15mpg maybe. Hard to tell when the speedo is so far off.

would look at doing a total chaos kit up front (coil overs/arms) and bypass out back. Keeping it simple. This will be a mild trail rig. Not a crawler or whoop pounder. 

Im not gonna be one of those dorks with a roof tent and every catalog recovery device mounted to it or anything. So wont  be adding a ton of weight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty set at 07 and under (gen1) the flat tow isn't a deal breaker but would be nice.

not really worried about mileage. Its not a daily driver just a toy. My jeep gets about 15mpg maybe. Hard to tell when the speedo is so far off.

would look at doing a total chaos kit up front (coil overs/arms) and bypass out back. Keeping it simple. This will be a mild trail rig. Not a crawler or whoop pounder. 

Im not gonna be one of those dorks with a roof tent and every catalog recovery device mounted to it or anything. So wont  be adding a ton of weight. 
Those guys are PRIMED for adventure bruh, you don't understand.  Just tag them if you see them, okay?

gb5th0kmd3yz.png

Instalander/Overgram'r!

Always have had a soft spot for gen 1 Sequoias. Our old gen 1 Tundra shop truck got the snot beat out of it and it never let us down. Did lose a random O2 sensor and randomly threw EVAP codes but was a great truck. Sold it a couple years ago and still see it around from time to time.

Back