Gear oil for 2D, MD5

DeepBusch69

Reaction score
Looking for the best gear oil for an MD5 and 2D tranny.  Weddle and Kartek list the Maxima full synthetic oil, 75W-140, which is the weight that Weddle recommended.  I have used the LAT in the past, it says it is a semi synthetic.  Torco is also another listed on both sites, full synthetic.  And if I remember right, the 2D is 4 qts and the MD5 is 5 qts?   thanks

Edit to say my buddy says he is using Amsoil 250W severe gear oil full synthetic.  He said he runs quieter now?  May try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mixed 50/50 Severe Gear 75-140 and Sever Gear SAE190 and worked great in my S4.

I have cases left over if your interested in buying some?

I run non synthetic Lucas in my 2d.  Whichever weight autozone has in stock. I’ve even have mixed the 2 different weights.  On season number 5. Change it once a year and it always looks fairly new. 

I have been using LAT for years with no issues 

My advice is to always ask your trans builder what they prefer.  I use Rancho Performance and have Sam go through about 10 transaxles for me per year.  I currently have two Albins (one is mine) and one Weddle S4 there for rebuilds.  They recommend LAT 85-110 for Mendeola 2D's, LAT 85-140 for Weddle (aka Mendeola) S4/5, LAT 85-140 for Albins up to 1000hp and for Albins above 1000hp Sam now recommends LAT SAE 250.

Reactions: GBR
if we could accesses the old board sean agreed that the 50/50 blend worked great, 

I've been using this in my 002 and 2D per McDowell's suggestion.   

20210523_074719.jpg

Um, the MFG said run Maxima... I would run Maxima lol.

Um, the MFG said run Maxima... I would run Maxima lol.
That’s what I’m now running in my rails (mendi 2D on 400hp turbo Honda and mendi S4S on 650hp stroker LS3). I’ve had it in for a season now, one fluid change on the S4S was normal, just some fuzz on the magnet drain plug. Maxima makes great fluids. I trust it and easier to get and less expensive then some of the specialty alternatives. 

3E04D289-8098-4782-A1BD-CB37E7CE27FC.jpeg

1C54AC28-300E-4BBE-AD24-0A0B2A88D0EF.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess all LS engines should only run the oil GM recommend? Cause they are the manufacturer. 
Not really sure this is the same thing.  GM owes that oil and has a $$ to be made by people buying it.  I dont think Weddle owns Maxima.  I know they had Maxima make the 75W190 specifically for the higher HP cars and the abuse the trans we're seeing.

Im sure there is a reason why they recommend the Maxima over XYZ brand oil.

I've been using this in my 002 and 2D per McDowell's suggestion.   

View attachment 4956

Applications

• Service fill of conventional differentials in passenger cars and trucks
  • Top-off only of limited-slip differentials in passenger cars and light trucks(1)
  • Service fill of differentials, final drives and transfer cases in some off-highway equipment
  • Non-synchronized manual transmissions in trucks, buses and heavy equipment where the manufacturer specifies an API GL-5 or MT-1 gear oil

(1)Note: For complete drain and refill, many limited-slip differentials may require the manufacturer’s specified gear lubricant or supplemental additive. Refer to the owner’s manual

Applications

• Service fill of conventional differentials in passenger cars and trucks
  • Top-off only of limited-slip differentials in passenger cars and light trucks(1)
  • Service fill of differentials, final drives and transfer cases in some off-highway equipment
  • Non-synchronized manual transmissions in trucks, buses and heavy equipment where the manufacturer specifies an API GL-5 or MT-1 gear oil

(1)Note: For complete drain and refill, many limited-slip differentials may require the manufacturer’s specified gear lubricant or supplemental additive. Refer to the owner’s manual
I was using the Kendal as well but found that it was not recommended for the sincro mesh transaxel. 

Back