Funco rear hub tech upgrade

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I love my Gray Area hubs but not everyone can afford to upgrade their hub assemblies for $4-5k

these hubs came in off of a Gen5 934.  these hubs and parts as i understand it are not made anymore, the assemblies were so bad that the inner bearing carrier could not be removed from the hub and disc assembly until we cut the disc in half allowing it to open up the ID so the hub could come out.  the disc bolts had been loose for so long that the heads were ground down to a lollipop, all the threads were damaged.   these are only 1/4-20 threads

we timeserted every other hole back to original size then we enlarged the remaining 5 holes to 5/16NC bolts. cleaned up the damaged disc mounting area and brought them back to life.  they will be outfitted with new 934 and 300m cages

This new bolt arrangement netted a "stronger then original" retention

the small bolts are original, the large bolts are the new larger fasteners

on the last pic look at the bolt heads holding the disc on!!!

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

7986C2D3-FF4A-4220-BE04-DDDC7AC6653A.jpeg

B5750FE9-67E0-4C81-A0AD-C874FC6A35EB.jpeg

667AFF30-C350-4E6D-B962-5FBAA6628751.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
i might add that if you are replacing your discs you could easily upgrade half of your bolts to the larger 5/16nc bolts with very little cost

i might add that if you are replacing your discs you could easily upgrade half of your bolts to the larger 5/16nc bolts with very little cost
That is awesome / You just saved a duner a BUNCH of $$$ without comprimising safety! If anything they are stronger and better than new! Great Job!!

:poule:

Back