fuel nozzle leaking

Bobalos

Reaction score
the nozzle on my fuel station leaks every year & for the most part once Ive put some fuel through it (& all over the ground/buggy/truck) it stops, but its getting worse & worse every year.  Its leaking out of the oring @ the base of the nozzle where it swivels.  its this guy in the picture.  it leaks right where the brass piece meets the cast aluminum part of the nozzle. 

one of the other guys in my group has the same nozzle & same problem.  his leaked pretty much the whole weekend... 

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that does not leak. 

@Whipsandshyt@L.R.S.@J Alper

fuel nozzle.png

I took mine to Mesa Hose in Costa Mesa and they cut the hose and re-assembled with new bushings. When the hose got very stiff I had them re-make it. 

@Realbadlarry they have a whole mess of models and brands, do you have suggestions on one that does not leak. 

@matt86m,its leaking from the oring in the nozzle (the red arrow is), not the hose.  its in the gap in the handle that the oring is not completely supported.  kind of a strange design if you ask me.

fuel nozzle 3.jpg

Sounds like the o-ring dries out and shrinks, then when it gets wet with fuel it swells up and seals ? Maybe change out the o-rings with some fuel resistant ones

Sounds like the o-ring dries out and shrinks, then when it gets wet with fuel it swells up and seals ? Maybe change out the o-rings with some fuel resistant ones
Thanks @J Alper

@Phil Brown agreed.  My concern is it's gonna get just as bad as my buddies.  It's kind of a bad design, I'm not sure I can stuff enough oring in it to keep it from leaking like that every year.  I have to press out the peened pin to get that fitting out and not sure how well it's going to go back in... might be worth messing with it... 

Need to try a higher quality nozzle and fittings. Problem is the bigger nozzle might not fit in the compartment.

I've had the same 20gpm nozzle and hose on my 50 gal aux tank on the tongue of my enclosed sitting outside for the past 5 years and it doesn't leak at all. 

Recently added a 100 gal aux tank in my 2013 Silverado that gravity feeds my truck. Added a 20gpm pump and large diesel nozzle (high quality) with quick connect fitting. Only put 50 gals through it and so far no leaks.

Now I need to find a hose that doesn't become stiff as a board. Cheap filrite hoses don't last.

I have a bunch of fuel delivery hoses and tanks. I got tired of those cheap hoses getting stiff and nozzles leaking a long time ago. I just buy 3/4" and 1" fuel resistant bulk hose now along with hose barbs and ball valves. Instead of a nozzle I just use a ball valve and screw a plastic riser into it. I have one pump with a hose that's at least 15 years old. It doesn't leak and is still as flexible as it ever was.

Order a DEF Auto-Shut Off Nozzle and get yourself a swivel adapter. Call Orange Coast Petroleum in Orange, CA. (714) 744-4049

The trailer fuel pumps are usually low flow and the DEF nozzles work better and help with spillage. 

Back