Fox Internal Bypass Shocks - Before and After

wesinls

Reaction score
I think i asked this before the crash, so this might be a re-peat question....Has anyone swapped out their coil overs for fox internal bypass shocks - and if so, what was your experience? Noticeable difference? It's about 5k to do the swap, I'm wondering if it's worth it. Seems like a good option vs adding a external bypass...less weight, no fab work needed, etc. I'd like to do this on my Alumi Craft:

1639411914987-png.235805

yes, 100% worth the change to me. One thing to consider is the fact you have 2.5" coilovers as is. when you swap to the same size body, the internal piston of the 2.5 IBP is actualy a 2.0 piston vs the fact you have a full 2.5 piston right now. if you go with a 3.0 IBP shock, you keep the same size 2.5 piston in the 3.0 IBP

i went from a 2.0 rear coilover to a 2.5 IBP so my piston size never changed. i gained no negatives from it, only plus's. i now have much better bump control than before and waaaaay smoother ride in the chop than before. You will need them valved after installed as well so plan for that. if i went up to a 3.0, id gain even more bump control without loosing ride comfort but again, it all comes down to proper valving. 

Id suggest a 3.0 IBP if you can make it work, other wise, look into the king IBP. completely different way of working AND a 2.5 shock gets a 2.5 piston but you are dealing with a needle in the shock shaft, 2 different shim stack under comporession valving and shim stacks in the resi. definitely just as tunable as the foxes.  

yes, 100% worth the change to me. One thing to consider is the fact you have 2.5" coilovers as is. when you swap to the same size body, the internal piston of the 2.5 IBP is actualy a 2.0 piston vs the fact you have a full 2.5 piston right now. if you go with a 3.0 IBP shock, you keep the same size 2.5 piston in the 3.0 IBP

i went from a 2.0 rear coilover to a 2.5 IBP so my piston size never changed. i gained no negatives from it, only plus's. i now have much better bump control than before and waaaaay smoother ride in the chop than before. You will need them valved after installed as well so plan for that. if i went up to a 3.0, id gain even more bump control without loosing ride comfort but again, it all comes down to proper valving. 

Id suggest a 3.0 IBP if you can make it work, other wise, look into the king IBP. completely different way of working AND a 2.5 shock gets a 2.5 piston but you are dealing with a needle in the shock shaft, 2 different shim stack under comporession valving and shim stacks in the resi. definitely just as tunable as the foxes.  
I did the same thing and would also say that the big change wasn't noticed until I had them tuned. HUGE CHANGE!

I have the king 2.5 ibp shocks on my Jeep and they do really well. 

Are they king shocks and who did you have tune them?
Fox 2.5" and I had Karl Mason, Shock Talk do them. 805-663-3443. He even re-drilled some by pass holes when he did mine and it is a total change.  They work great!

Great car by the way!  Always loved that car.

I'm wanting to do the same thing.  The 2.5 internal bypasses.  I was planning on having Karl do the tune once I get them.

My issue is availability and my fronts are going to need some work to get them to fit or....I just go with the 2.5s in the rear.

Please give us an update if you move forward on this.

The Ultramax decals on that Car are TIMELESS!!!!!!!!  I love that car!!!!  such a great duner and way ahead of its time!!!!

:poule:

Did it on 2 cars, HUGE improvement on both. Definitely worth the scratch 

The Ultramax decals on that Car are TIMELESS!!!!!!!!  I love that car!!!!  such a great duner and way ahead of its time!!!!

:poule:
LS3 crate motor and Holley Terminator X ordered (Back ordered to March) ...Going to have Alumi Craft install the engine and potentially add a rear cage!

LS3 crate motor and Holley Terminator X ordered (Back ordered to March) ...Going to have Alumi Craft install the engine and potentially add a rear cage!
What’s the part number for the Holley? I may have one on the shelf. 

Back