Fox End Caps

FOG

Reaction score
Fox uses a rubber needle port to fill the nitrogen on it’s UTV shocks. I hear that they start leaking eventually. 
There are a number of companies that make an end cap with a schrader valve to replace the existing end cap. 
You can also buy a high pressure schrader valve and tap the existing cap to save some money. 

What direction did you go?

Or what are you planning to do?

When I had mine done they tapped mine and put the schrader valve in. 

We also have redesigned & improved our endcap again after another company copied ours .. Our High Volume Nitrogen replacement reservoir endcaps actually increase the N2 capacity of the reservoir. (They aren’t just a slug of aluminum with a schrader valve sticking out and exposed to breakage).

All shocks will lose or consume some N2 from normal operation.. This volume loss will manifest itself as a PSI drop.. When you start with a larger reservoir volume, the volume loss from operation represents a smaller percentage of the total volume so you will stay at or nearer your initial fill pressure for a longer period of time for longer service intervals and better performance for a longer period of time. The new caps have even more volume than before, and now also have cooling fins on the exterior.. The schrader valves are recessed & completely encapsulated, and are sealed and protected from breakage with an o-ring schrader cap. No schrader extension is needed to charge them like is needed on some other options out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
We do it both ways.  Really depends on current inventory in my shop.  It's more economical for the customer if we drill/tap and put a high pressure schrader in.  Some customers want the bling so we do new caps.  Both work great.  It is a must to move away from the needle fill pellets.  I have kits that contain the proper drill bit, tap and 4 high pressure schraders.  :ez:

We do it both ways.  Really depends on current inventory in my shop.  It's more economical for the customer if we drill/tap and put a high pressure schrader in.  Some customers want the bling so we do new caps.  Both work great.  It is a must to move away from the needle fill pellets.  I have kits that contain the proper drill bit, tap and 4 high pressure schraders.  :ez:
Thanks. 
I already have the drill bit, tap and 4 high pressure schraders. 
I’m going to give it a shot and if I screw something up I can buy new end caps. 

Can you get me a price on both the diy kit and the actual endcaps? Otd price With and without in install 

Can you get me a price on both the diy kit and the actual endcaps? Otd price With and without in install 
$260 for Assault cap (4), $200 for MTS caps (4) or $100 for drill bit, tap and 4 high pressure schraders. :ez:  

Finally got around to putting schrader valves in my Fox end caps. 
I jacked up the rear first so it was at full droop. This would get most of the oil out of the reservoir and into the shock body leaving the piston near the top. I then drilled a 1/8” hole in the end cap releasing the nitrogen pressure in the reservoir. I got a little bit of aluminum but mostly rubber. 
I pushed up the end cap, removed the clip and then the end cap. See the pictures of the inside of the reservoir and end cap. 
I purchased the high pressure schrader valves from McKenzies, Fox-010-00-007A. They’re 1/8 NPT Schrader valves. I’m sure you can get them at other places. I already had the 1/8-27 NPT tap and 21/64 drill bit. 
Next was drilling the hole in the end cap with a couple of smaller bits, then the final bit and tap it. 
I put some blue lock tite on the Schrader valve threads and installed it into the end cap finger tight, then another half turn with a socket. 
Reinstalled the end cap into the reservoir and moved on to the other 3 shocks. 

343A8782-576F-4647-B388-53269C5E9353.jpeg

E5230549-1374-46A9-A4D2-1A222F717ED7.jpeg

96E0C696-6F77-4DDE-B976-5045A47AE0E5.jpeg

CF28EA9B-0884-42C6-A816-7C36EC64980A.jpeg

33078496-AFFC-4600-A282-CF79D518988C.jpeg

$260 for Assault cap (4), $200 for MTS caps (4) or $100 for drill bit, tap and 4 high pressure schraders. :ez:  
it doesnt look to diffcult to install these but what would instalation be in your shop?

Finally got around to putting schrader valves in my Fox end caps. 
I jacked up the rear first so it was at full droop. This would get most of the oil out of the reservoir and into the shock body leaving the piston near the top. I then drilled a 1/8” hole in the end cap releasing the nitrogen pressure in the reservoir. I got a little bit of aluminum but mostly rubber. 
I pushed up the end cap, removed the clip and then the end cap. See the pictures of the inside of the reservoir and end cap. 
I purchased the high pressure schrader valves from McKenzies, Fox-010-00-007A. They’re 1/8 NPT Schrader valves. I’m sure you can get them at other places. I already had the 1/8-27 NPT tap and 21/64 drill bit. 
Next was drilling the hole in the end cap with a couple of smaller bits, then the final bit and tap it. 
I put some blue lock tite on the Schrader valve threads and installed it into the end cap finger tight, then another half turn with a socket. 
Reinstalled the end cap into the reservoir and moved on to the other 3 shocks. 

View attachment 44388

View attachment 44389

View attachment 44390

View attachment 44391

View attachment 44392
very nice, i hope to get mine done soon

After installing Schrader valves into my end caps about a week ago I filled them up with air. I checked the pressure today and all was good. So I drained the air and refilled them with nitrogen. 
Even though I think the rubber needle valves were not leaking, I now have peace of mind knowing that there is a less likely chance that the shocks will leak with the Schrader valves.
And I can check and fill the shocks with equipment that I already have. 

Back