Fortin FRS5 Questions

fabr

Reaction score
1-Does anyone have a current list of 1-5 gear ratios available?
2-is the 3.88 ad 4.37 the only r&p available for it? They have a 4.86 on their website and it has been on there for years. When I called a couple weeks ago they acted like I was crazy and said they never offered it.

This is from the website.
Shows 2024 . WTH?
The gentle.man I spoke to didn't sound as if he was even familiar with the frs5. I'll call again next week but was wondering if anyone here know anything about what is offered in the mean time.

Last edited:
I would just call Doug Fortin in El Cajon. He makes most of the components for his transmissions and can answer those questions the best. (619)449-3633

I would just call Doug Fortin in El Cajon. He makes most of the components for his transmissions and can answer those questions the best. (619)449-3633
Same Doug has no problem answering any questions, super great guy and will tell you the history of the gear, if they made it or why it is not offered anymore,

As I posted,I will call again next week but will request to speak to Doug himself this time. I'm sure it was not Doug I was speaking to a couple weeks ago as it sounded like the gentleman I spoke to wasn't really familiar with their offerings. Maybe newer help? They have always been very helpful for sure but this last call was different than other times I have called. Anyway,I was just hoping someone here might have some info in the meantime.McMullen has my trans now.
Thanks for the replies.

Kevin McMullen will tell u everything u ever want to know about Fortins.
He is the expert in AZ. Fortin will actually send him gear boxes to rebuild.

Thank you.That is my understanding .

I have a damaged 4.86 in my FRS4, that ratio ring/pinion gear was designed for 4cyl and 6cyl engines. Based on my conversations, the only ring/pinion available now is the 4.37 and 3.88.

3.88 is a strong R&P. 19 years and I never broke one. Lots of other stuff broke in my wide gear, but not that. :)

I have a damaged 4.86 in my FRS4, that ratio ring/pinion gear was designed for 4cyl and 6cyl engines. Based on my conversations, the only ring/pinion available now is the 4.37 and 3.88.
That is what I was told by the gentleman(not Doug) at Fortin.
3.88 is a strong R&P. 19 years and I never broke one. Lots of other stuff broke in my wide gear, but not that. :)
No doubt a lot stronger than 4.88 and 4.37 somewhere in between the 2.

McMullen has my trans apart now and I'm waiting for his call letting me know my r&p and gear stack ratios and options. I'm just mulling over what I can for now.

I think I have a 3.88 now as that is what the extra R&P I have is. Any idea what gear stack ratios might be available? I know I think I would want a top speed of around 110 with 36 inch tall paddles and that would theoretically take a 1.5 5th gear but McMullen might tell me I'm full of it too. LOL!!!!!
I think I want something along the lines of 4.00/2.85/2.2/1.8/1.5 .
(I know those ratios are not actually available ,just numbers that would give even % of pull- from weddles calculator)
I'm out of my mind -right? :ROFLMAO:

This is just mental gymnastics anyway. I assume I'll hear from McMullen in a day or 2 now.I'll likely take his advice.

Last edited:
Don't base your decision just on speed etc.
Take McMullen's advice on what is the better ratios to run from a longevity stand point.

For example, when I had my Fortin, he told me to run a certain 2nd gear as others were getting more life out of it.
My 2nd and 3rd were very close, but I did end up getting more life out of 2nd than I was getting with my old ratio.

I know mcmullen knows his stuff . No question. Im just really wanting to see how far off i am from his suggestion. Yes,longevity is above perf on this.

McM called today and I do have a 3.88 r/p now.
Current gearstack:
1st-3.09 lowest available
2nd-2.06 also lowest available
3rd-1.62
4th-1.36
5th-1.25
Since I can go no lower with 1st/2nd I feel I can do not much better with the 3/4/5. Benefit not worth the cost. I will though get the 4.37 r/p. Not much improvement but as much as is available. He said everything "looked" really good........until parts were magged. gear dogs on 1/2 and dog rings cracking badly,reverse gear along with the shift forks need replaced/upgraded to new style. All bearings/gaskets and converter seal of course replaced. Waiting on $$$$ cost . I have a ballpark number in mind but who knows as there is apparently some new pricing. Sounds like $$$$$$.:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
R&P is where the money is at.
When I bought my new 3.88 it was $4k, if I remember right.
"new pricing" is never good. :)

The r/p is still $4k. The other parts add up quickly though. I'm way north of $$,$$$.$$:cry::unsure:

Back