Follow Me Drones

Big_Daddy_Jp

Reaction score
Who has one and what do you think? School me on brands and prices and things to look for. I basically want one to film while duning. We dune pretty fast so I’m just wondering how fast the drone needs to go. Thanks

Pretty sure the weakest drone will keep up with any dune pace.

I've done a couple GoPro recordings and after about 3, the novelty wears off.  As much fun as rides are, watching them over and over can be monotonous. 
:lmao:  But what about the blistering pace that some say...ludicrous speed (no one can keep up with them, John from Outfront wishes he could be as fast as them), so fast their tires melt the sand and turns it to glass trails...???   :poke:

:bag:  

:biggrin:  

Pretty sure the weakest drone will keep up with any dune pace.
Definitely not. Some follow based on object capture and the signal is lost easily. Also depending on the technology it uses to follow, will vary drastically. Mine follows a wristband tracker that has its own GPS independent from the drone. Probably the most secure that I've seen yet. Dune speed? Meh. That can vary. I'm not interested in racing my drone but it tops out at 49mph. I've gone faster for sure. 

I understand about other peoples claims of duning speed. Many drones I looked at claimed 30mph. My concerns are how fast I will outrun the drone if it only does 30mph! Now if it is set up to follow as the crow flies, than it would be plenty fast enough. I know absolutely nothing about drones and how they work! 

:lmao:  But what about the blistering pace that some say...ludicrous speed (no one can keep up with them, John from Outfront wishes he could be as fast as them), so fast their tires melt the sand and turns it to glass trails...???   :poke:

:bag:  

:biggrin:  
Yes I want to see video of any dune ride that averages 45-50 (in the dunes) for even 15 min. Please post

I have a DJI Mavic Pro (Gen 1, so pretty old).  it has 2 flying modes, the slower one with the anti crash features, is quite a bit slower than the "advertised top speed" that is in "sport mode" & pretty much applies only to the "fly with experience" type of thing.  I have not tried the "follow me mode" yet, it just seems like a lot of work, when "I just wanna go fast"...........  and battery usage (flight time) goes down a good bit when you have it in haul ass mode... 

The newer DJI drones with the follow me modes, are pretty bitchen & might be worth a look, but with the cost ($3K), you gotta be committed........  And if you look at any of the nice video's of folks driving around, all of those drones are being flown by someone sitting on top of a dune.  and now there is FAA stuff to deal with...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a dji phantom 4 pro v2.

It has 2 methods of follow, pick an object on the screen and it'll follow, or it will follow the controller. I've tried it at slow speed, and it seems to work perfectly. I believe it also has parameters then can be set, follow distance, altitude, and a few others. For having no previous flying experience, I can honestly tell you, it's super easy and confidence inspiring. It wasn't long before I found its max distance, about 4 miles if I remember correctly.

I believe it was around 1700 new, mine has never been crashed, still have the spare props, it's probably been used 12-15 times. If you decide it's the one you want, I'll sell mine. It's one of the coolest toys I've ever owned, but it never seen to find time to use it.

I know absolutely nothing about drones and how they work! 
Theyre a trip man. The motors are able to speed up and slow down very quickly. The propellers are counter rotating so when all 4 motors are spinning equally, the drone will be somewhat stationary. 

To move forward the rear props spin faster, which tilts the drone forward. It does not use any type of airfoil like an airplane. Its all done by the props.  

To yaw left and right some of the motors will slow down and some will speed up. Its like tapping the rear brake on a dirt bike. When you slow down a rotating object that force is transferred to whatever its attached to. 

Back