Follow me drone?

Mellen_GTX

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any actual experience with the drones on the market that are able to follow the operator?     They all seem to advertise that that they are great, but then you look at reviews and they don't quite work right.    Seems like the dunes while wide open, would create problems due to the speeds and elevation changes

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one. There's many but mine follows a wristband tracker. Called staaker, it lacks what others have and strives in areas where others don't. The one that's peaked my interest lately is the skydio2 wondering how it would do out there. I have a staaker and yes this topic seems to show up once in a while. 

Here's a couple of my videos in the dunes and on my channel I have one in Mission Bay. Still playing with it, yes, crashed to elevation changes that I will learn from. It will fly again though. 

Skip to anywhere... on this one

Still messing with it, but having fun still. Good luck man! I too want those sick shots from the air. 

I have a DJI phantom 4 pro version. It tracks whatever you want it to. I've never tried it on a dune run tho....

I've had i a few years now, only used it maybe 10 times, probably going to sell it due to lack of use. It seemed like a great idea at the time, but I never end up using it....

10 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

I have one. There's many but mine follows a wristband tracker. Called staaker, it lacks what others have and strives in areas where others don't. The one that's peaked my interest lately is the skydio2 wondering how it would do out there. I have a staaker and yes this topic seems to show up once in a while. 

Here's a couple of my videos in the dunes and on my channel I have one in Mission Bay. Still playing with it, yes, crashed to elevation changes that I will learn from. It will fly again though. 

I've been looking at the skydio2 as well, but from all the reviews,  it seems to lose track a lot,  and it stays too close,  no way to back it off

12 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

I watched about half of the first video. Very impressive! I think it did a very good job of keeping you in the middle of the frame most of the time and the section of video I watched, it did keep a pretty good altitude,. I'll watch all of it to see if it drops lower and/or crashes.

I was surprised to see it constantly shifting it's heading, apparently in relationship to the heading of the wristband? It seemed to be very sensitive to your heading, which I think is a good thing. Overall, I was very impressed with the video it produced.

Is there something you feel it could do better? Features you'd like to see in the future?

I watched about half of the first video. Very impressive! I think it did a very good job of keeping you in the middle of the frame most of the time and the section of video I watched, it did keep a pretty good altitude,. I'll watch all of it to see if it drops lower and/or crashes.

I was surprised to see it constantly shifting it's heading, apparently in relationship to the heading of the wristband? It seemed to be very sensitive to your heading, which I think is a good thing. Overall, I was very impressed with the video it produced.

Is there something you feel it could do better? Features you'd like to see in the future?
Well, you'll be surprised. I actually installed the go pro upside down on the gimball and it somehow knew it as it did it's best. You'll notice in the 2nd video the gimball doesn't appear in the frame at all. 

As far as the way it tracks, you might be on to something there... chances are it's shifting around to the reaction of my wrist on the steering wheel, doubt it though because it's also designed for skiing downhill. 

This thing is a beast and nothing compares to it for follow me drones, I'm sure. 29min flight times, 49mph top speed was top of the market when I bought it 3 years ago or so. It still has so many things for me to try. I can pause it in mid flight, say top of a dune, and it will pan around keeping on me the whole time. My goal is to catch some air in the rail with it paused mid air as I go by. There's also an extreme mode that I haven't tried, basically operates like a bat out of hell with close proximity. I can have it orbit, stay at a certain angle, lower or raise altitude, free flight, and so much more. Thanks for asking! I'll try to get more this season. 

Well, you'll be surprised. I actually installed the go pro upside down on the gimball and it somehow knew it as it did it's best. You'll notice in the 2nd video the gimball doesn't appear in the frame at all. 

As far as the way it tracks, you might be on to something there... chances are it's shifting around to the reaction of my wrist on the steering wheel, doubt it though because it's also designed for skiing downhill. 

This thing is a beast and nothing compares to it for follow me drones, I'm sure. 29min flight times, 49mph top speed was top of the market when I bought it 3 years ago or so. It still has so many things for me to try. I can pause it in mid flight, say top of a dune, and it will pan around keeping on me the whole time. My goal is to catch some air in the rail with it paused mid air as I go by. There's also an extreme mode that I haven't tried, basically operates like a bat out of hell with close proximity. I can have it orbit, stay at a certain angle, lower or raise altitude, free flight, and so much more. Thanks for asking! I'll try to get more this season. 
I wonder what it would look like strapped to the A-Pilar of the car???

I wonder what it would look like strapped to the A-Pilar of the car???
I'll have to try but I remember reading somewhere to not put it on anything metal due to the magnetics inside but maybe they were referring to the drone itself during launch? I'll try it anyway haha. 

what if you have a bionic arm???  LOL.

Maybe on the base of the whip so its on the highest point of the buggy & its not "metal". just dont turn the whip on & freak it out.  LOL.

Back