Fill up your 1 lb propane bottles from home.

I used to burn through a 1lb bottle on my black stone every few cooks. Switched to a standard bbq 5 gallon bottle and it lasts 2 seasons lol. 

I bought one of those a while ago, haven't used it yet. One tip I was told is to put the small can in the freezer for 10 min before filling it.

the problem i found is that the shrader valve in the small bottles leak after refilling. also it worked better if you tale a small nedelnose plyers and pull on the relief valve to reduce the pressure in the small bottle letting more liquid in also starting with a completely empty bottle helps 

I have one of these and tried it a few times. Did the freezer thing with the small bottle. Still only seemed to fill it half way or so. 

We have a fill station at work. We got an adapter to go from fill valve to green tanks. It was called a steak save to adapt green tanks to standard bbq fitting. 

well it worked great had to do on cool day usually mornings run it about a minute to fill. Then years later propane company changed fill nozzle to newer type wasn’t able to do anymore as it didn’t get enough pressure. 

Back in the 80’s when we had propane lanterns and Coleman cook stove we used a lot of those little bottles. I got tired of wasting money on those tanks so I made one of my own adapters to fill them from a 20# cylinder. As Jersey said it fills better and more full if you use needle nose pliers to release some pressure off the top.328D0087-C815-4544-8311-2C08C533E2C7.jpeg

I have one.  I usually do the freezer deal too.  But, one thing that I found that filled them better was tuning the big tank upside down before opening the valve.  This would allow the liquid to fill it first.

I maybe totally wrong, back many years ago before the new improved safety valves found that if I turned the 5lb upside down it filled the canisters with liquid instead of just gas. When getting RV, BBQ 5 or 20lb containers they use a liquid pump, so we're only filling with static pressure.

"HJ"    :ex:       :cheers:  

I hate them little bottles, seems I always have 3-4 and half are close to empty.  I switched everything out to work on a 5lb bottle, I go all season running my Blackstone and barbeque (25 days of camping).  I also have a gas fire pit that works off of it as well, nice if you are camping with 2-3 people.

I maybe totally wrong, back many years ago before the new improved safety valves found that if I turned the 5lb upside down it filled the canisters with liquid instead of just gas. When getting RV, BBQ 5 or 20lb containers they use a liquid pump, so we're only filling with static pressure.

"HJ"    :ex:       :cheers:  

I hate them little bottles, seems I always have 3-4 and half are close to empty.  I switched everything out to work on a 5lb bottle, I go all season running my Blackstone and barbeque (25 days of camping).  I also have a gas fire pit that works off of it as well, nice if you are camping with 2-3 people.
Ya... Refilling those little bottle sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Like taking a 5 gallon gas can and filling up a bunch of quart bottles with it and then having to fiddle with the lids on the quarts so they don't leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one.  I usually do the freezer deal too.  But, one thing that I found that filled them better was tuning the big tank upside down before opening the valve.  This would allow the liquid to fill it first.
This.  Hell, most of the time if I filled it at night, it's pissing propane during the day when it warms up.  Always fun when you start smelling propane in the Jeep... :biggrin:

Back