End of season flag swap of a damaged flag…

HozayKwarvo

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Not 100% certain what or how it happened… speculation that it could have been the solar lights malfunctioning or it could have been lighting. Third option is fireworks or something of the sort. Noticed it on Saturday and know it was 100% not burned only a few days prior.  Whatever it was, three of the solar lights were destroyed and the flag was burned pretty bad - damned shame too, as this was in exceptionally good shape for this time of year and was flown for us over the US capital building on 11/01/23 by @madweazl 

There’s a healthy debate about what caused it, and while everyone was hoping for a solar light failure or lightening, not one person on site believes either to be possible… the lithium batts were intact, lights appear to be damaged from the outside - in, not inside-out. No lightening strikes in the area since it was last fully intact. Also, a lot of cardboard tubes and plastic discs, etc (fireworks remnants) were found in the area.

At any rate, the W was in full effect at this point, sustained moving sand for 30+ hours and even some rain for good measure… but we knew what needed to be done. Went through the list of what was needed and rallied the troops for a recovery run Sunday… by the time we were able to get out there the dunes were fully reset, still blowing off the ridges, and completely whited out, making everything more challenging.
We got Old Glory changed out and ready for the summer but it took a lot of people to do it, most of which delayed their departure from G by several hours to make it happen. This needed fixing and there is zero chance it was happening with out y’all - can’t thank you enough!

Be it changing out the flag when needed, holding the Veterans Day Gathering, hosting veterans and their families in the dunes and making them feel welcomed and honored, or picking up trash and doing their part, these are Glamis Veterans - all volunteers making it happen and making Glamis and our Nation a better place for it. Thank you   :smilie_flagge13:

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_2708.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2716.jpeg

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2729.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_2733.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

IMG_3156.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job to all involved.

Any thoughts to making a plaque to put on the Flag Pole to contact Glamis Veterans if there is damage to the flag, lighting or or anyone is interested in volunteering or supporting Glamis Veterans?  Have the social media links on it?  Just a thought.

A sad situation.  But our Glamis heroes took care of business and were triumphant over the sadness. Thanks to all.

I have a hard time believing that anyone would have done that on purpose. I'm hoping it was just an accident with a firework. 

99% of dunners are good god fearing patriots.  

Any thoughts to making a plaque to put on the Flag Pole 
It would be lost in the plethora of junk bolted, taped and screwed into it.  I don't consider myself an old school guy but I remember when it was only the small, simple Boardmanville plaque on the box.  Now it looks like a tweeker yardsale.

I have a hard time believing that anyone would have done that on purpose. I'm hoping it was just an accident with a firework. 

99% of dunners are good god fearing patriots.  
Not anymore. There seems to have been quite an influx of selfish idiots the last couple of years. 

It would be lost in the plethora of junk bolted, taped and screwed into it.  I don't consider myself an old school guy but I remember when it was only the small, simple Boardmanville plaque on the box.  Now it looks like a tweeker yardsale.
Agreed, but it was just a thought.

For the first 8+ years was only Chuck's plaque. oddly enough the same year that FB came to be they started multiplying like rabbits... can post up comparison pics when I get home :cheers:

Good job to all involved.

Any thoughts to making a plaque to put on the Flag Pole to contact Glamis Veterans if there is damage to the flag, lighting or or anyone is interested in volunteering or supporting Glamis Veterans?  Have the social media links on it?  Just a thought.
Have actually spoke with BLM re: adopting/officially maintaining, etc... it's easier to not do anything official and let it handle itself. 

Back