Enclosed vs. 5th Wheel

Meter Tech

Reaction score
Thinking about a new Toyhauler...I've owned them all, bumper pulls, 5th wheels, Super C etc....currently back in a WW CR3905 5th wheel which I think is a great trailer and fits the bill....but would like something newer! 

I've always liked the idea of a fully self-contained Enclosed with living quarters.....95% of the time it's just me so my thoughts are simple happy! 

Those that have done the Enclosed route what are the Pro's & Con's?

:cheers:   

A guy in our group, who could easily afford a late model pusher, camps alone, so he does the basics. He has a 24ish foot enclosed with a fold down bed and a bathroom. Very simple and his Funco GTU fits right in. Always easy to find a spot at Roadrunner and has a pick up to drive u to town when necessary. 

Two seasons ago I got my two kids a 30' WW bumper pull so they'd have their own space plus room for the YXZ and both quads. I'm alone, mostly, in my 40' pusher, which is dumb. But I love it.

A guy in our group, who could easily afford a late model pusher, camps alone, so he does the basics. He has a 24ish foot enclosed with a fold down bed and a bathroom. Very simple and his Funco GTU fits right in. Always easy to find a spot at Roadrunner and has a pick up to drive u to town when necessary. 

Two seasons ago I got my two kids a 30' WW bumper pull so they'd have their own space plus room for the YXZ and both quads. I'm alone, mostly, in my 40' pusher, which is dumb. But I love it.
that guy is a genius.

I did this when I started going again in 2002. Used a enclosed and had a fold down bed and all needed to camp comfortable. Only issue I got tired of was during wind event, specially at night the outside skin would "oil can" all night long and there was little to no sleep.

If you go with a basic no insulation type enclosed they get freezing cold at night.  There were times when it was actually warmer outside then in on some nasty nights. 

How much comfort you need or want?

And you state you want "newer" which to me sounds like looks great, has shiney new car smell, etc.

Have a custom enclosed made with a small living space.

I have a place to sleep now.

If I was single, I could save so much money on Moho and trailer for the desert...........

You might consider a smaller enclosed and a truck camper  - some are very nice  and even the smaller ones have enough room. A couple of the guys that go alone  in our group have moved to them.   they come on and off easily, are easy to maintain and clean and are easily stored.  Lets face it we spend most of our time outside. 

If I was single, I could save so much money on Moho and trailer for the desert...........
I am single, still costs a lot. But probably because I'm there so much. 

I have a Blazen F395,  this is a 2016,  I have a 16-Foot separate Garage,  I will list a link but i have a thread on 16' and higher separate garage models, 

I almost pulled the trigger on a MoHo, but after Idaho decided to stay with the trailer,  What i like about the new trailer,  Is very digital, i can run the lights, awning, doors, and level from my phone,   I pushed hard against the leveling system when i purchased new,  LOL it is now my favorite part of the trailer,  I really like the leveling system,  my other favorite part is the theater seating, super comfortable,  

I mostly travel at night,  if i get there late, the car will sit in the trailer,  or if it rains i will pull it back in,  I use the separate garage as a garage, it does have a electric bed, but all the couches in the garage have been removed,  

When we travel to Idaho or Sand hollow, it is nice to unhook the truck and have a vehicle ready to use,  or at the Dunes I can unhook and run around, especially at Dumont you will have to drive 25-27 miles into town if you need anything,  

link to separate garage models  

If you go with a basic no insulation type enclosed they get freezing cold at night.  There were times when it was actually warmer outside then in on some nasty nights. 
My first trailer was a no insulation enclosed. The Ex and I one night froze our asses off. Woke up in the morning jumped up put on my big jacket and was going to throw a log on the fire to warm up.  Opened the door got a strange look with everyone standing around with shorts on.  The Ex was inside using the porta so I couldn't go back in right away.  Yet before I could go back in she came out complaining how hot it was. said it was like somebody hit the light switch and the heat came on.  That was the last trip with that trailer.

I have a Blazen F395,  this is a 2016,  I have a 16-Foot separate Garage,  I will list a link but i have a thread on 16' and higher separate garage models, 

I almost pulled the trigger on a MoHo, but after Idaho decided to stay with the trailer,  What i like about the new trailer,  Is very digital, i can run the lights, awning, doors, and level from my phone,   I pushed hard against the leveling system when i purchased new,  LOL it is now my favorite part of the trailer,  I really like the leveling system,  my other favorite part is the theater seating, super comfortable,  

I mostly travel at night,  if i get there late, the car will sit in the trailer,  or if it rains i will pull it back in,  I use the separate garage as a garage, it does have a electric bed, but all the couches in the garage have been removed,  

When we travel to Idaho or Sand hollow, it is nice to unhook the truck and have a vehicle ready to use,  or at the Dunes I can unhook and run around, especially at Dumont you will have to drive 25-27 miles into town if you need anything,  

link to separate garage models  
I go back and forth about a Garage model as well. During the season I'm in G every other weekend and usually go out Wednesday night to start making camp. I work remote so it makes sense. Last season dealt with a lot of weather issues so a garage model would be nice! But you get a few adults in the LQ and it gets crowded really quick. Like I said, most of the time it's just me, but when the wife and daughters come out I don't want it to be a pain for all of us to be comfortable! 
Very torn on which direction to go. 

Been looking at the new IROK / KING Race Trailers. These are built with full composite walls and roofs so you don't get that tin-can issue while inside and they are insulated. 

They are expensive to get one fully decked out and there is limited exterior storage. For a few $$$$ more you can also get a new 5th wheel.  :makerain: :banghead:  

Back