Enclosed trailer floor coating?

Looney Duner

Reaction score
Just picked up a new trailer and I wanted to coat the floor before I use it. Look at rust oleum 2 part garage floor epoxy. Has any one used this? Any good? I'm looking for input on D.I.Y. stuff. Not taking it to rhino line or anything like that. 

Thanks in advance 🤙

I've used the Behr brand garage floor epoxy.  Worked well and had no issues.

Make sure and let it dry several days before putting anything back in it.

You know Randy will have good advice coming. I view a product's strength in terms of how bad they are for your health. The low VOC water based stuff is designed to be easy to clean up. Rinse your brush in warm soapy water. 

I prefer a product where the brush is toast. Dont even bother cleaning it. Its about to turn into concrete in 1 hour. 

The 2 part garage floor epoxy sounds like something durable. Chemical reaction instead of evaporation like water based products. 

I need to coat my floor as well. Are you putting this directly on the plywood?

I used a spray on bed liner kit from Amazon. Comes in different colors and includes it’s own spray gun. It’s been about a year and it still looks good and is durable. One thing to keep in mind, when you figure out how much you need based on product estimates add at least 50%. I actually used twice what was recommended and barely had enough. I sprayed it over the bare plywood. Make sure you have good air flow through the trailer and wear a respirator! Mine dried within a couple hours and I drove the car on it the next day with no markings, etc.

‘Good Luck!

Just ordered a brand new Universal enclosed and I need to hit up @Stugotsto see what the options are for floor coating.

I bought my trailer and it is some kind of Rhino lined product, I wouldn't use it again.  Hard to clean if you have an oil/fuel leak of any kind.  The only way to clean is with a hose and soap, which I try not to bring running water into my trailer...........would be much easier to wipe down with a rag.

i bought the floor epoxy sold at HIS paint, i doubt you have it out there though. 

my buddy did his shop floor many years ago and it still looks brand new and shiny. So i did my enclosed about 2 months ago. 1 gallon was exactly and I mean exactly enough to do a 24 long enclosed car hauler, I had maybe a paint brush worth left lol. I actually replaced my floor completely so I did the bottom first, let it dry, installed it and then did the top. 

buy extra flakes as the kit didn't come with near enough and helps keep it from being slippery.

i did no prep, just put it straight on the wood, then for the sides where the walls met the floor i used 1" aluminum angle (should have used 2") to hide the slight gaps.

FWIW, my Wells cargo has the coin flooring in huge sheets glued down (not 12x12 squares).  it has been there since 1994 & has held up great. 

it was cold as hell in the winter, so I went down to our local carpet supply company & bought a reasonable quality industrial carpet like you would find in an office building.  its not glued down or anything, just trim around the edges & one trim piece in the middle where the seam is. 

It has held up rather well & if I have an engine puke all over it, i will rip it up & lay down new carpet.

20220916_160234.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to pick up the rust oleum epoxy from homo depot, I've read some pretty solid reviews about it. 

I'll post the results, hopefully this weekend. 

I think I'm going to pick up the rust oleum epoxy from homo depot, I've read some pretty solid reviews about it. 

I'll post the results, hopefully this weekend. 
That’s what I was going to do but that was $200

I went with some valspar stuff I will put down Sunday. $49

Last edited by a moderator:
So I went with the rustoleum stuff. Looks pretty good. 1 coat is definitely not enough. It soaks into the wood, and leaves a rough surface. Bought a second kit, clear top coat. Came out decent after the second coat.

20221001_153346.jpg

20221001_153358.jpg

20221001_153449.jpg

looks great, painting the walls also? insulate the roof and add some 1/8" to cover it, helps so much

looks great, painting the walls also? insulate the roof and add some 1/8" to cover it, helps so much
I'm definitely going to paint the walls, with what, I'm not sure yet. As far as the ceiling goes, meh, I might just leave it alone. I don't hang out in the trailer, so I don't care if its hot. 

Definitely going add, a winch, a fuel station, a front work bench, and some cabinets.  In my spare time lol......

I'm definitely going to paint the walls, with what, I'm not sure yet. As far as the ceiling goes, meh, I might just leave it alone. I don't hang out in the trailer, so I don't care if its hot. 
On the walls either get a gallon of primer or a gallon of whatever color with a high percentage of primer in it. I didn’t and painted mine white. I came back the next day for touchups and the walls were a brown/white. Ended up buying another gallon of white with a high percentage of primer in it. Still looks great after6 years. 

Back