Electronic Boost Controller vs fixed wastegate spring

ChasingSand

Reaction score
Wanted to see what peoples opinions are on running a boost controller versus a set boost number via spring. 

J35 currently at 10lbs but thinking would be nice to run 15 when I am in the straights  or the drags. Car dunes great at 10 and is amazing to drive. 

was also thinking of just going up to a 15lb spring and having it retuned. 

any thoughts or contributions?

Simple boost controller can be activated to give you 15 with the push of a button. 

Another regulatory and a valve controlled by a button.  

Msd used to have a decent stand along boost controller.  

If its an aftermarket efi I would guess it's already available in the software. 

Definitely the EBC. Basically takes the spring out of the equation. I never really understood it until reading articles on how they really work. My J35 is tuned at 13 psi, and he also loaded a 10 psi tune onto my laptop Haltech software. (I think the external wastegate has a 7 or 8 lb. spring in it) It is safe, since it is less than the main tune. Not a switch or button, but a simple upload to go back and forth.

im gonna say depends on ecu your using. if your using aftermarket ecu the major ones should be able to manage boost controls. factory honda ecu (even with hondata) id leave it on spring.

A guy in my group run that ECU he controls the boost with it you need the solenoid that connect to your wastegate I think they have them at AEM 

I love EBC but its one more thing to deal with 

if the car runs good on the spring and gives you the power you want when you want it  I say KIS..

But EBC can with the right tuner, the right turbo and the right cam give you way more control over when and how boost hits  - the key is always putting power under the curve where its usable, but to get a real effect you should plan and build for it. Its not just add an EBC and magic happens  - it always means spending more time and $$.

and as @Bobalos said you can,  if the engine is built for it and you have the right fuel (race gas or e85) and the right tune  - with the push of a button change spark timing, fuel curve and increase boost  - its like a N2O hit if done right - lots of people uses it a like a "scramble button"  and its fun!

Done wrong and its a pile of parts in the sand :-) pretty quickly

I would love to hear John from Outfront's take on this.

In my opinion, a EBC does much more than just allow for variable boost levels. A wastegate is controlled by spring pressure and boost via the vaccuum line. A 10 pound spring will allow the valve to Crack open a few pounds before achieving 10 pounds which will soften your torque curve. With a EBC it will stay shut till 10 pounds. 

Every boosted rail who is committed to engine performance should have one. The unit I run is a stand alone unit that is roughly $700.

They have a lot of other cool features.

image.png

I would love to hear John from Outfront's take on this.

In my opinion, a EBC does much more than just allow for variable boost levels. A wastegate is controlled by spring pressure and boost via the vaccuum line. A 10 pound spring will allow the valve to Crack open a few pounds before achieving 10 pounds which will soften your torque curve. With a EBC it will stay shut till 10 pounds. 

Every boosted rail who is committed to engine performance should have one. The unit I run is a stand alone unit that is roughly $700.

They have a lot of other cool features.

View attachment 118842
I was talking to John about this one today at his shop. Thinking of going with this unit strictly for the boost control. Probably going to have John install and retune for me. 

Back