Electric Steering

FIREMAN

Reaction score
While in Glamis over Veterans Day I met an older guy with a small white Alumicraft with a Nissan motor and he had a clean electric steering set up.   He said he used a Toyota Prius electric steering motor and module set up, but I forgot the year Prius he said to pull it out of.   Anybody done their own electric steering using a Toyota Prius electric steering set up? If so what year did you use? Thanks 

While in Glamis over Veterans Day I met an older guy with a small white Alumicraft with a Nissan motor and he had a clean electric steering set up.   He said he used a Toyota Prius electric steering motor and module set up, but I forgot the year Prius he said to pull it out of.   Anybody done their own electric steering using a Toyota Prius electric steering set up? If so what year did you use? Thanks 
I think JBL on here did one with a Prius steering motor.  Hit him up.

Harvey on here has electric kits.  (can't remember his board name)  I took my hydraulic system out and went to one of Harvey's electric kits.  No issues and much better than what I had before.  I think mine came out of a Chevy Cobalt.  

The issue is you can't just use a steering box and electric motor.  There is a logic module and other items that go with it to make it work.  Harvey supplies all that.

I was looking into this the other day.  here are the threads I found.

Last edited by a moderator:
not today, but I have time tomorrow afternoon if that is convenient for you.  LOL.

I bought a couple from somebody here and they were out of a Saturn, maybe it was Harvey

Harveys kits are the best. Better than the Kartek ones too

I did mine myself, unit came from a Saturn vue. Same unit in a Chevy trailblazer I believe. Got it at pick a part on half price day, paid something crazy like $17. Have to cut down, turn down and weld a new input shaft on. And put a seal on the input shaft, as it does not have one from the factory. (It's mounted inside the car). Then you need a few u joints from sweet mfg. And the electronic controller for it, about $60 online. All in all, not too bad. But it is by no means a plug and play deal. Unless you have the capability of doing what I just described, order one from Harvey, you will have it in a few days, and it will be plug and play. I have plenty of friends running his kit with zero issues. He takes all the guess work out of the equation. 

I had James GInsberg install one of Harvey's kits on my 1969 Jeef CJ7.  No idea what it came out of but it works great.  GInsberg installs them pretty often on Baja's and sandrails.

I just did mine, from a 2014 Kia Soul. I can't wait to try it out. Someone on YouTube used it, and I found it on offer up for $120 module and all. Even the Kia ignition with key was there but I figured, nahhh that would be too boujie lol. 

Every buggy in my camp except me and one other run Harvey’s setup. Zero issues that I’ve seen. 

I used a Prius electric power steering on mine. It is a 2010-2015. 

I used 04-09 Toyota Prius off ebay around $230.  Make sure you get the controller also!  Def not plug in and play like Harveys but if you are a DIY'r like myself, should not be a problem.  But will admit it does take some man hours and worth it as I only spent $300.  But mines works so freaking awesome vs no power steering and cant imagine anyone not having one....!  Check out the video as this is what I followed.  

The only problem I had with mine is that all the connections were just crimped on, After soldering everything it has been flawless, Came out of a chevy cobalt i believe, There are a lot of cars that have electric steering now a days and they are pretty much the same 

The only problem I had with mine is that all the connections were just crimped on, After soldering everything it has been flawless, Came out of a chevy cobalt i believe, There are a lot of cars that have electric steering now a days and they are pretty much the same 
Crimping shouldn't be a problem as it's the best option for high vibration environments.  Incorrectly crimped without strain relief, however...

I run one out of the saturn view with the ebay controller from Portugal or where ever he is.  I run a 2 seat mid engine weighing in at 1960 lbs wet. Set it at 3/4 assist in the sand and 50% in the dirt. Had to replace the controller once and clean the carbon trail off of the armature once. It would randomly shut off and re start. Takes the harshness of the ruts out of the feedback. Still beats the rack hard but eases up on the driver. Well worth the money imo and as stated above , Harvey's kit is the simple easy way to go!

Back