efi system

The engine harness goes back to the display?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's an ECU/display all in one.  I have the FT550.

The display IS the ECU.

I have a 450 and 550 that I'm working on getting set up to run for the J series engines.  
For a car, easy peasy.  For a buggy, is the engine harness cumbersome running all the way to the front?

For a car, easy peasy.  For a buggy, is the engine harness cumbersome running all the way to the front?
You can buy pigtails from Fueltech.  https://www.fueltech.net/collections/harnesses

For some engines they have plug'n'play.  LS, K2x.  They also have generic V8, v6 and 4cyl p'np.

My plan is to take a junk yard harness and cut the ECU ends off, then splice one of the unterminated harnesses on.  These you can buy up to 20 feet long.

Another thing that is pretty neat is the screens are touch too.  And, you can build multiple screens to toggle though.  You could build your basic dash with "push button start", then swipe over to view all your individual cylinder thermocouples...  These new 700s have WAY more in them than the others.  They will data log and produce a live graph on the screen with whatever parameters you choose.  No laptop needed for tuning.

ETA, The smaller ECUs can be tuned from the display too, just no graphing.  Hell, you can even set the displays up to run turn signals if you wish... LOL

Def a clean option especially if with the display. I wonder if the display is water proof?

I'll pull one of mine out of the box and grab some pics when I get home.

also the software is user freindly and the options are dam near endless.  you can test all your injectors and coils by the push of a button on the screen. the guys ive seen use them have put them on everything from one cylinder go carts to pro mods.  id be seriously considering the new 700 if ihadnt already bought the holley stuff. only reason i didnt go with fuel tech before was screen size, i wanted that big 12.3 display like motec and holley have.

the great thing is these get better every year - 

I like seeing Fueltech innovating , the industry needs this, ebven if CA will outlaw gas cars soon :-( 

Since these systems are all Software defined  - the top 3 (other than the king Motec) can keep omne- upping and adding features AEM  and Holley had  a race last year  for features...AEM came out with all these split screen pieces and Holly one upped them on that.  Fuel tech adding diags  gives AEM (now owned by Holley) and Holley a chance to do more.  The Holley dash hasd plenty of CPU power  and can use external ram (Flash) so there isa so much more that can be done with it.

Haltech also has some cool turbo feature no one has employed,

I'll stick with the Holley for now - the compensation and learn algorithms are are best I used so far and price while creeping up is still a bargain

My gripe with Fuel tech Personally I don't like the display and ECM in the same box .  I dune with a bunch of guys we all have Holley Term X's  - I carry a spare Ecm its  only $500 so if one fails  - we have  spare.  whenever I do a new Holley a swap out the ECM so thew spare is never more than a few months old  - so latest everything . I kep a 3.5 Hand held too  and most of the guys have them we can flash the ecm in a couple minutes 

Another thing that is kinda neat about the FT software is that it produce a wire diagram pin out for you.  

You open up the tuning guide, enter simple info, and it will pop out a tune that will get you started.  Scroll down, it will suggest pin location..

In the FT structure wire colors dictate what they do, blue, yellow white, specific things.  The pre populated harnesses use these colors these location...Here is a snip one of my set ups..

image.png

The 450/550 are the same display size. The 550 offers way more. 

5814516A-A22F-43B4-9C32-FA251BB8687C.jpeg

Back