EEE Desert Star I - project

Dune-Track-N

Reaction score
Picked up a FREE 80% project! Not sure this is the right area, but surely not right for SandRail or SxS talk....

Just got it and looking it over need a bunch of help to determine some missing parts to get this running.

1st step is to fire the engine. It turns over fine and boings like it's making cylinder compression, so that's good. I need to find an ignition system for it. It kinda has a wire harness, but it's hacked. Is there a universal CDI type system that can be used or should I EBay all the used parts?

Yamaha 500 from a sled. Anyone know how to determine the year of production to location parts?

The only thing on the harness is a voltage regulator and plugs for all the other items, but again it's hacked so it could be a crap shoot what plugs in and works.

2nd would be the intake /exhaust and clutch issues.

95% of the parts are there, but used and worn. I think the clutch is going to be the biggest issue for parts. Hopefully if we can determine the year or model of sled then I can find parts.

3rd would be the rest of the running gear brakes, shocks and interior. Again 95% parts are there just not bolted down or really worn/rusted. Like the brake master cylinder it will need replacement.

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

These were local san diego builds the last person i know that worked there just moved to az. They used to race these in the quad races back in the day at the d-38/fud races. Good times. Cool car

I visited Triple EEE when it was off of old Highway 80 in El Cajon as a 12 year old...My dad was considering buying my brother and I one for Christmas...That ended up never happening due to hard times for my dad at the time...my heart was forever broken :)

Fast forward 30ish years later and one popped up on craigs list...$250 bucks for a rolling chassis - I coudnt resist and the addiction happend.  Over the next 2 years I ended up spending about 7 or 8 grand on these things..I kept searching on craigslist and would find one that had the better tranny, better motor, a two seater, etc - and all for under 2 grand...I purchased and sold 4 of them (pr what it 5), = ending up settling on making the 2 seater my ultimate project - I bought a 600cc fuel injected snow mobile (had no idea at the time they even made fuel injected 2 strokes) just to remove the motor and put it in the car, etc...all that work and after my first ride and realizing my 40+ year old body needs more that 6 inches of travel, I sold all of them...lesson earned for me but the hunts for my cars and the project was fun.  I prob lost 3 grand over 2 years...not bad.

That gearbox us going to be the weak link on the car...there's only one guy (i have his contact info if you want it) that can work on them...Really think about if it's worth to fix it, or sell it for 500 bucks.  Pic below of the cars I used to own...I also started a Facebook group that has a ton of pictures of these cars, original brochures, etc - it was my effort to preserve the history of these cars.  Join Pilt / Odyssey groups on facebook to get the most info about these things...the facebook group oI started nly has a few dozen members, the pilot odyssey group has better for info.  The last pic was the best find...it's an RPM gearbox that had custom mounts to bolt up to the stock frame...it came in the blue 1 seater with the EEE side panel.

IMG_20200614_095537.jpgIMG_20200614_093815.jpgIMG_20200614_093438.jpgIMG_20200614_093432.jpgIMG_20200614_093427.jpgIMG_20200614_093336.jpgIMG_20200614_093326.jpg

00v0v_61pqcanhhdZ_1200x900.jpg00N0N_6cIqoDYCYbl_1200x900.jpg00b0b_9XTrbzoQvW4_1200x900.jpgthumbnail (2).jpeg

IMG_20200614_093607.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet thanks guys, this isn't going to be a full resto mod build or anything....  :makerain:  just trying to get it running and let the little kids or neighbors have something to ride.

@wesinls sure I'll take the contact info, everything helps. Those photos already helped a ton.

There's lots of old info scattered around the interwebz, just gotta piece it all together. Only reason I took the FREE project was knowing it wasn't a china cart and had some race pedigree behind it.

Sweet thanks guys, this isn't going to be a full resto mod build or anything....  :makerain:  just trying to get it running and let the little kids or neighbors have something to ride.

@wesinls sure I'll take the contact info, everything helps. Those photos already helped a ton.

There's lots of old info scattered around the interwebz, just gotta piece it all together. Only reason I took the FREE project was knowing it wasn't a china cart and had some race pedigree behind it.
For the gearbox...fwiw he told me they are only rated for 35 hp...it's been a few yeats, I'm assuming he's still is business

Roy Navarrete – Technical Sales

Quality Drive Systems ,Tel# 626/293-5770, Fax# 626/281-3392

so does anyone know of a CDI setup for this yamaha?

If there is a vin # on the engine the 10th digit (may, if consistent with Yamaha ATV’s) tell the year model.

Those cylinders were from a 1994-96 YAMAHA VMAX 500 XT Snowmobile.

CDI most likely off same year, make model.

Lots of knowledge over on Minibuggy.net.  I have a couple of builds on there but overall a great source of where to find parts etc...

Back