Easy Start - Run your AC with a 2000W generator

We've been using this in the marine business for years. We call them soft stars.  Basic capacitor system. 

Multiple ac units can be supposed from the same ac source. The soft start system will not allow any two, three, four etc compressors to cycle or start at the same time. This keeps the inrush voltage low and amp draw/demand minimal. 

That’s really cool. Especially for those hot nights and you need AC but don’t want to hear the onboard genny running all night. 

I am installing this one to my new 15000 btu rv a/c today. 

20210626_131549.jpg

socaldmax said:
The problem with these is they encourage people to use under powered generators to run their A/C. A running A/C uses about 1600 watts, which is 100% load on a 2000 watt starting, 1600 watt running generator. A portable 2,000 w genny is louder than an onboard genny. Not only is it louder to the user, it's louder to other people. If your onboard genny is loud inside your trailer, it's mounted wrong. Maybe there is no insulation, or the exhaust is touching or mounted wrong, but it should sound like a muted low pitched humming noise. If not, it should be corrected, which is pretty easy. Normally the A/C is louder than the onboard genny.

Yeah, people always claim their little 2000 w genny is quiet and yes it is - at idle with no load. At 100% load, it's really loud and sounds like an engine running at redline. It's better to buy a Honda 3,000, Predator 3500 or Pulsar 4000 genny. The Pulsar 4000 is cheaper than a Honda 2000 and has electric start and remote control, so you don't have to go outside to pull start it or turn it off.

Those Soft start devices are a waste of money. It's better to use that money to buy a better portable genny because the soft start device only works for less than a second, then the A/C consumes the same amount of power as it normally would have. If your genny needs a soft start to start the A/C, it's too close to maximum load to run it all the time. Then if your battery charger or converter comes on and now your trailer load is even higher than 1600 w. Some people turn off the battery charger, but that's just another sign their genny is underpowered.
Well since my bed sits over my generator (5th wheel) it’s a bit loud for my liking. If I plugged into a smaller portable Genny I would definitely not put it near my bedroom but as far as I could. That was my thought. 
But I haven’t looked into the load thing as you described so thanks for that insight. Always enjoy reading your posts on things of this nature   

As much as it pains me, I agree with Steve! :D

Yes, my honda 2000 would run the genny on TH, but it was louder than the microquiet 4K that was right under the bed. But when I used the honda to run cpap and charge the batteries, it was nice and quiet. 

Most have there Honda out side, so if it is on full tilt in the night, i walk over and turn the gas off for them, LOL    and if the neighbors have a job site pull start generator with there rental class C, then i add some water to the fuel tank for them, 

Most have there Honda out side, so if it is on full tilt in the night, i walk over and turn the gas off for them, LOL    and if the neighbors have a job site pull start generator with there rental class C, then i add some water to the fuel tank for them, 
So neighborly.  LOL

On my trailer it blows the transfer switch with both AC, is this just a bad switch,  it works fine on shore power plugged into the wall 

How do you mean, blows the transfer switch?
My old trailer was a WW, the extension cord for the shore power you would unplug from a generator style wall plug, no auto transfer switch,  the new trailer has a transfer switch from Genny to Shore Power, 

if i run the Generator with both AC's it blows the transfer switch and i loose all AC power, 

My old trailer was a WW, the extension cord for the shore power you would unplug from a generator style wall plug, no auto transfer switch,  the new trailer has a transfer switch from Genny to Shore Power, 

if i run the Generator with both AC's it blows the transfer switch and i loose all AC power, 
The question I asked was: what do you mean by blows the transfer switch. It's a switch, not a fuse or a circuit breaker, so I'm not understanding what exactly is blowing on the transfer switch. I'm trying to help, but I need to understand what you're saying. Is it exploding? Smoke?

The question I asked was: what do you mean by blows the transfer switch. It's a switch, not a fuse or a circuit breaker, so I'm not understanding what exactly is blowing on the transfer switch. I'm trying to help, but I need to understand what you're saying. Is it exploding? Smoke?
Sorry, it tripps the breaker on the switch like it has no power, then when resets trips the breaker again, you can hear the mag switch trying to engage but it will not,  

Sorry, it tripps the breaker on the switch like it has no power, then when resets trips the breaker again, you can hear the mag switch trying to engage but it will not,  
I'm sorry, I've never seen a transfer switch with circuit breakers on it. When you get a chance, can you post a pic of the unit you're talking about? I've only seen breakers on the circuit breaker panel and on the genny.

I'm sorry, I've never seen a transfer switch with circuit breakers on it. When you get a chance, can you post a pic of the unit you're talking about? I've only seen breakers on the circuit breaker panel and on the genny.
Sorry again it trips the mag switch, the switch goes in and out, like it engages and disengages, over and over again 

Back