Dutch Oven Chile Verde

Sapper07

Reaction score
Take a well seasoned Dutch oven pot 12qt preferably. Add about a 3.5 to 4lb pork roast with or without bone. I prefer the bone in type. 1 white onion several cloves of garlic peeled of course and your favorite green chile salsa (805 roasted salsa verde)  I think 🤔   add all the ingredients together in your Dutch oven and cover with aluminum foil allowing the handle to move.  Next dig hole to accommodate the oven burn your favorite mesquite wood in the hole until there are plenty of hot coals.  Remove some of the coal and drop the Dutch oven in the ground. Add the coal that you took out on top of the oven then bury it. Approximately 12in of dirt on top. DO NOT PAT THE DIRT DOWN.  Walkway for 8 to 10 hrs. Come back dig it up carefully remove the foil and open the Dutch oven.  Mix well and serve with yellow rice, refried beans and tortillas. Top it off with your favorite toppings: sour cream, onion, etc.  Pair it with a nice cold beer or wine or drink of choice and enjoy.  I do a Dutch oven treat every trip to the dunes. Sky's the limit when cooking like this.  If your thinking of getting a griddle do it. You won't regret it and make your own brats and sausages 😋 your heading to the dunes your gonna get hungry and it's a great way to get a little camp competition during a potluck with the group. Enjoy fellow duners

20211122_090644.jpg

20191124_070840.jpg

20191124_070848.jpg

20180605_114931.jpg

20180610_132055.jpg

If you were going to sous vide this at home instead of the dutch oven coals/bury method what temperature would you suggest for the 8-10 hours?

That sounds good! I have a dutch onve and haven't used it in a loooong time. I keep it in the motorhome but it just doesn't get used. I might have to give this one a run on New Years. We will be in the desert, so I am not digging a hole, I'll have to do the coals on bottom and top method. 

I usually roast the tomatillos and make my own verde sauce for this.  It the concept still remains. It’s so good with eggs too. 

Back