Droop to up travel ratio

Jtmoney714

Reaction score
What do the sandrail guys run for droop to up travel ratio? What are the effects of more or less droop travel? With a bypass shock would 70% up travel at ride height make the car ride smoother in the chop because more oil can be bypassed and the shocks sits on a little less pressure? Or do the stiffer springs needed to achieve that negate any smoothness. Anyways let’s start the discussion 

There is no magic % of droop. Every car is different. My car is about 50%, but it's a heavy MF. Had my shocks rebuilt, and brand new coils installed (two springs were broken) this off season. Haven't driven it yet, hopefully it's spot on. 

Agreed, no magic number.

IMO, the more droop the better.

My front arms are almost parallel with the ground at ride height.

I will get some measurements on my car at least, when I go to load up and take all the droop out of the front end.

I think it's more about what your pre-load is set to more so than droop...1 inch of pre-load in the front and 2 inch of pre-load in the rear seems to be a general agreed upon starting point, and if at that pre-load your car is super sagged out, your spring rate might be too low - or potentially you may need a bit more pre-load - or if at 2 inch your car is maxed out on ride height, too stiff of springs and or incorrect spring lengths.  On an offroad page I came across, having 2/3's of the shock shaft exposed at ride height seemed to be a good ratio to shoot for.  In short, from what I've gathered looking this up when trying to set up my car this season - 1 inch of compression in the front and 2 inch of compressions in the rear with around 2/3 to 3/4 of the of the shaft showing at ride height.  That's my theory at least.

Agreed, no magic number.

IMO, the more droop the better.

My front arms are almost parallel with the ground at ride height.

I will get some measurements on my car at least, when I go to load up and take all the droop out of the front end.
Agree.  How much droop?  However much you can get without bottoming or needing so much rate/compression it might as well be bottoming. :biggrin:

50-66% compression travel is my assumption as a starting point.

I rarely get on here, so if someone asks me a question back, no offense I probably won't see it.  There are so many variables to this question, there is no hard and fast answer that will apply to all situations . Minimum sag I would say is 30%,-35% @ ride height. On bigger offroad stuff with dual shocked corners with a c/o and bypass can and usually do run more as they have more gross damping.. The spring preload #'s given earlier are relevant to a certain point, but as stroke grows, the parameters grow as well. But as a principle, yes, the amount of preload to attain a certain sag % is a good indicator as to whether it is sprung correctly or not, and if not which way. We get a lot of stuff that comes into our shop to get redone on a weekly basis, from customers who already had their stuff done at at other shops and or individual out on the sand, with lackluster results. Some of the set-ups from name brand shops are real head scratchers.

Back