Drones?

1newbie

Reaction score
Anyone using one of the drones that will automatically follow you and film?  I have a DJI phantom that I use a little bit, but really want one to automatically follow and film us while duning.......

I have a DJI Mavic Pro and it can do it. Up to 35mph.

We used a couple  different follow me drones before 2020 all did about 35  and they were keeping up mostly - when we outpaced them they just flew higher to keep us in view. 

But I have heard  the BLM might have issues with them because Rescue Helicopters cannot/will not land if a Drone is in the area - can anyone confirm or deny it?

We used a couple  different follow me drones before 2020 all did about 35  and they were keeping up mostly - when we outpaced them they just flew higher to keep us in view. 

But I have heard  the BLM might have issues with them because Rescue Helicopters cannot/will not land if a Drone is in the area - can anyone confirm or deny it?

I know two  licensed drone pilots who fly for survey and commercial mapping purposes.  Both  have commented that the laws will be getting tighter on recreational drone use and there's a lot in the works with amazon to re define airspace use  . I can ask them and report back  since I know nothing  and my private pilot ground school hasn't gotten into any drone stuff . 

I have a Staaker Drone that is for follow only, a bit outdated now but was the fastest and longest flight time. Tops 49mph and can stay up for 29min I believe. No obstacle avoidance though and doesn't adjust altitude. Gotta keep an eye on it. It's pretty awesome though. Here is some footage from last season, with Drone crash lol. I'm still learning what it can do, and yes, it lived to fly again. This run was definitely slow in fear of losing it but I'm sure it can go much faster. I wear a wrist piece that actually locates it if it goes down. Without it, would've lost it. Haha. 

The one to check out now is the skydio 2, I've seen it do some serious obstacle avoidance. 

I have a DJI phanton 4 pro.

It says it will follow you, although I've not tested it.

Everything else I've done with it is super cool though. It's way easier to fly then I thought it would be. After a few weekends of screwing around with it, I grew to trust myself, which I thought I would not be, considering the price......

Haven't used it for awhile, might sell it, I don't know 

I have the same drone, but I don't have the stones to try the follow feature for fear of losing it.
LOL... It will always return to home (you should set the  floating waypoint (home)) so the home location changes as your position changes.

I have the DJI mavic and the follow feature has worked so far the real test will be this weekend going to do some boat chasing. 

Wow boat chasing can’t wait to get a report how did it do and see some actual video footage would be awesome

I have an old Mavic pro, and we used it once but I don't think we were good enough flyers.  IIRC this is the gen1 and  not sure if it has follow mode.  My summer plans are to figure this thing out.  

Back