Drag racing thread

One of Tripp's many "incidents" They ran that car on kill all the time and it could burn on any given run. 

Post anything cool in regard to drag racing here. My favorite is Big Daddy. Here he is hanging out in his shop.  https://fb.watch/bvHNV7bLPz/   Great book about him during the golden era of drag racing. 

View attachment 27275
Big Daddy (Don) Garlits was my introduction to drag racing as a kid. First time to a drag strip I saw him race and got a huge Pro Winter Nationals poster of the pic below autographed by the man.  😁

Garlits-Fire-Burnout-Poster-768x566.jpg

Cool inside look. How can you not like Clay Millican?

Nothing like the top fuel cars ripping by you at 300+mph.  I went to the Winter Nationals in Pomona about 4 years ago.  It was fun.  

Ive been a drag racer for just about all of my life.  my second car is the Yellow VeeWee.  simple 1776, with Dual Solex Carbs.  I beat the crap out of that car & learned a few things in the process. 

image.jpeg

Not actually my car............  I helped build this with my boss (His money, my labor).  for a while, it was one of the fastest street cars on the island. 

image.jpeg

my first "post Navy" hot rod.  69 Datsun 2000 with a Furd 302 & a C4.  Cool little car. 

image.jpeg

My 71 Camaro that had a 383 with a 750 carb, TH350 & a small plate system. 

Then an EFI Motor with an Accell Super Ram & a TH700R4. 

I miss this car.  I sold it to a guy "up in LA". 

image.jpeg

My youngest "helping" with Maint. 

image.jpeg

Then I decided I was going to "go fast".  66 Chevelle, 68 Caprice 427 with cast Iron heads & a 250+ plate system.  it was bitchen fun & again I learned a bunch.

image.jpeg

Goofing around.  LOL.

image.jpeg

Then I thought I was going to build a blow through turbo system.  It never turned a tire..........  I build both the hot & cold side on this.  uber cool project.  Wish I finished it.

image.jpeg

then I decided I was going to "help some folks out".

I helped a buddy for a year or so with his 275 drag radial car.  then I moved onto a different buddy with a 91 Rustang where we ran OL10.5.  nasty 426 CI SBF with Twin 88's.  Bitchen car.  

Then a guy I used to race with asked if I would help with his Pro-Mod.  Long story short, this was a 68 camaro that got crashed @ SCSN by the idiot that was running the car.  Derrol the owner got Bickel to put a 70 body on it & we raced it with a clutch & a 737/747/??? Nitrous motor & 4 kits.  Joe Lepone Jr. got involved in the car & he came on as the Crew Chief and Driver.  we beat the crank out of that motor & bought Pat Musi's 903 from his wrecked Stratus (Joe & Pat were LONG time friends).  I did firewall back & Joe did Firewall forward & Derrol wrote checks & drank beer. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Derroll in the Camaro

image.jpeg

we simply could not get the Camaro light enough to be competitive so Derroll bought this duster from Dennis Radford.  We did pretty well with it.  Won a championship & broke some hearts. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Joe got sick & Derrol sold the Duster to Robert Costa of NM (Another one of Joes customers) & AFAIK, Robert still has it.  Although he put an Automatic in the car. 

Derrol got hooked up with Ed Thornton & Shane Tecklenburg & decided that they were gonna build a turbo car out of the 70 (which I had been trying to get Derroll to do the whole time.  LOL).  I helped them for a year or so & felt like a third wheel, so I gave up the sport. 

image.jpeg

what they have done with this car is AMAZING.  with 9 million HP on tap, the car REALLY does not give a sheet about the weight.  in fact, this is a VERY well built car & does everything you tell it to go. 

image.jpeg

54483594.jpg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been a drag racer for just about all of my life.  my second car is the Yellow VeeWee.  simple 1776, with Dual Solex Carbs.  I beat the crap out of that car & learned a few things in the process. 

View attachment 27338

Not actually my car............  I helped build this with my boss (His money, my labor).  for a while, it was one of the fastest street cars on the island. 

View attachment 27339

my first "post Navy" hot rod.  69 Datsun 2000 with a Furd 302 & a C4.  Cool little car. 

View attachment 27337

My 71 Camaro that had a 383 with a 750 carb, TH350 & a small plate system. 

Then an EFI Motor with an Accell Super Ram & a TH700R4. 

I miss this car.  I sold it to a guy "up in LA". 

View attachment 27323

My youngest "helping" with Maint. 

View attachment 27330

Then I decided I was going to "go fast".  66 Chevelle, 68 Caprice 427 with cast Iron heads & a 250+ plate system.  it was bitchen fun & again I learned a bunch.

View attachment 27324

Goofing around.  LOL.

View attachment 27331

Then I thought I was going to build a blow through turbo system.  It never turned a tire..........  I build both the hot & cold side on this.  uber cool project.  Wish I finished it.

View attachment 27326

then I decided I was going to "help some folks out".

I helped a buddy for a year or so with his 275 drag radial car.  then I moved onto a different buddy with a 91 Rustang where we ran OL10.5.  nasty 426 CI SBF with Twin 88's.  Bitchen car.  

Then a guy I used to race with asked if I would help with his Pro-Mod.  Long story short, this was a 68 camaro that got crashed @ SCSN by the idiot that was running the car.  Derrol the owner got Bickel to put a 70 body on it & we raced it with a clutch & a 737/747/??? Nitrous motor & 4 kits.  Joe Lepone Jr. got involved in the car & he came on as the Crew Chief and Driver.  we beat the crank out of that motor & bought Pat Musi's 903 from his wrecked Stratus (Joe & Pat were LONG time friends).  I did firewall back & Joe did Firewall forward & Derrol wrote checks & drank beer. 

View attachment 27327

View attachment 27328

Derroll in the Camaro

View attachment 27329

we simply could not get the Camaro light enough to be competitive so Derroll bought this duster from some dude up in the northern states (his name will come to me @ 3:00 am tomorrow morning.  LOL).  we did pretty well with it.  Won a championship & broke some hearts. 

View attachment 27332

View attachment 27333

View attachment 27334

View attachment 27335

View attachment 27336

Joe got sick & Derrol sold the Duster to Robert Costa of NM (Another one of Joes customers) & AFAIK, Robert still has it.  Although he put an Automatic in the car. 

Derrol got hooked up with Ed Thornton & Shane Tecklenburg & decided that they were gonna build a turbo car out of the 70 (which I had been trying to get Derroll to do the whole time.  LOL).  I helped them for a year or so & felt like a third wheel, so I gave up the sport. 

View attachment 27341

what they have done with this car is AMAZING.  with 9 million HP on tap, the car REALLY does not give a sheet about the weight.  in fact, this is a VERY well built car & does everything you tell it to go. 

View attachment 27342

View attachment 27325
:igor: :hethan:

Back