Dirty onboard fuel tank

realtreeHD

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Dune Chaser with a 40 gallon fuel station.  I don’t know that it’s ever been used prior to me owning it.   I used it for the first time last week and he fuel went in clear but comes out orange.  Doesn’t look like there is any sediment.  

has anyone had this problem before or do you have suggestions how to clean or treat the tank?  Also suggestions as to how to store fuel in there?  I am thinking of keeping it full year round and I can use it for my mower and farm quad.

On my last three toyhaulers i have added inline spin on filter before the hose just for insurance.  Replace them once a year.  I would add one and run some clean gas through to flush out junk then replace filter and be good for a year.  

image.png

This also happens when a fuel stabilizer (Sta-Bil, and others) have been used in the tank. Which you will probably want to use if you intend to store fuel long term.

My dune chaser has 2 25 gal tanks. One for the toys and one for the gen.  I have a fuel filter plumbed into the gas hose for the toys.  Your tank may have some surface rust or tanning as we call it in the marine world.  Im not concerned with the color as long as its filtered. You can get 2 micron spin on fuel filters and that would be plenty good.

Back