Desert Dynamic Chassis and the different styles

J Alper

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Dave at Desert Dynamics made a lot of Chassis, @Kevin can most likely touch off on this a little more, i know a loft from 2006 and on

The Primary chassis that Dave built without going to custom was the
  • Sand Works and Buggy Works Chassis
  • Sand Car Chassis
  • Dual Sport Chassis
  • Prerunner chassis
The Prerunner was a semi pre-runner and a true pre-runner, the big difference was the True Pre-Runner was boxed everything and was a 2'' chassis with 2.5 inlay-tubing
My Prerunner was a cheaper version I can a Sport Pre Runner, it is 1-3/4 with 2'' inlay,ddsite.jpg.54ee91147eed7c6ef263dc54b2d62cbe.jpg

Last edited:
The Dual Sport Car
Was Clost to the sand Car chassis but the dual sport was 1-5/8 and had the same azz as the pre-runner, and later years came with boxed front arms

Leading Edge A Arm Car,

IMG_1802.JPGIMG_1800.JPGIMG_1795.JPG

Sand Car Chassis

These Chassis where 1-1/2 cars and the rear end of the car was straight out most cages were made to be removed and the car was shorter to fit in smaller trailers or enclosed trailers
The front was a Leading Edge, but the front was a 10'' shock like the dual sport but arms where tube lower arms

IMG_1808.JPGIMG_1552.JPGIMG_1554.JPG

The Sand Work and the Buggy Works came as a single shock car but some owners modified them and the shocks came 8'' then later 10'' but the arms were 3-4'' shorter per side in the front and the rear was narrower by 2'' per side,
and the front trailing arms went to the side of the car and are not double sheared,

IMG_1552.JPGpost-34000-1425350537_thumb.jpg6c3297f61a8d446a8de1464d63ea4a07.jpg

I am not sure that anything I have seen posted would Live where I live..

The info is priceless though and when we seo this forum will be used for decades to come..

Loved my DD. If I didn't blow up the damn 2D every season I would've probably kept it. That car worked well. Wish the build thread didn't get deleted awhile back

Early on the build:

IMG_2957.jpg

When I first finished it

IMG_2297.jpg

The first makeover:

0mat602_0mat602-R1-047-22.JPG
IMG_6358.JPG

And the second full makeover:

dd-san-felipe 2.JPG
IMG_6244.jpg

Thank you for posting @acefuture
That is a perfect example of the Sandcar rear cage, I loved mine was a great car, light and nimble, i added the boxed arms to the front then hated the car due to the front being heavy, was a great car they way they came from DD.

My current example of a DD..... and its for sale

Attachments

• IMG_1507 (1).jpg
    IMG_1507 (1).jpg
    817.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0609 (1).jpg
    IMG_0609 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I enjoyed my Buggy Works version for several years. At 1,600lbs small power was plenty for duning. Fit in the trailer with the paddles on so no tire changes were needed. Outgrew the car though.
IMG_4064.JPG

I have a 2006 1 3/4” prerunner chassis I bought in 2015 second hand which I didn’t finish till 2018. Front and rear arms among other stuff Dave built for me in 2016 with his update design and changed the front bumper for me. It’s a very stout car. I’ve hit a few big witches eyes and hard pack wash outs into 3’ tall walls and with a little power it soaked it all up without damage.
IMG_3029.jpeg
IMG_3030.jpegIMG_3032.jpegIMG_3028.jpegIMG_3031.jpegIMG_3033.jpeg

Actually looking at those pre runners now that I have my glasses on those look like desert cars.

I was squinting and looking at the sand cars..

The DD sand car chassis is as strong or stronger than most other brands “dual sport” chassis.

dave also built chassis for other "builders" like desert rat in apple valley, that chassis was a couple inches narrower than the normal dd chassis but with dd arms. he also built chassis for that crook in bakersfeild that alot of members here bought from and went thru some shit to get their cars. there are 3-4 others as well but i cant remeber their names anymore.

in 2008-09 dave started building the dual sports in 1 3/4 at additional cost and also raised the mid rail up 4 inches then you could run a 12" shock up front. towards the end the last few leading edge suspension cars he built had different upper a arm mounting position and the bulkhead was changed to something better.

Back