Desert Buggy Brake Set-Up

Stinky

Reaction score
I just bought the "Animal."  It is a buggy built on a shortened VW pan, w/a rollbar and buggy frame on it.  It has an Aluminum body w/Animal painted on the side.  My guess is about 1,200#

It is/was street legal.   That was what I was looking for.

It has been sitting for about 10 years and all the rubber is shot.

I'm gonna look at the brakes....which brings me to my question.  On my last buggy, I had VW front-wheel Wheel-Cylinders in the back (same bolt pattern & etc.).  That was what I needed to be able to lock up the big meats on the rear of a buggy, while going down the slope of a big bowl.  I've talked to other guys running front-brakes and they have problems w/the wheels locking and kicking up gravel in to their face.  

I am thinking of putting the small WCs, from the back, in the front and the big ones in the rear.

I could also use a proportioning valve.

What should I do?

I would get it running first to see how good or bad what's on it work. Then make changes if needed. What ya got might work fine. If not maybe some super Beatle wheel cylinders in the rear will help ? (Larger size).                  Proportioning valve will if adjusted correctly will slow up the application of the fronts

Back