CV greases....I know there has been lots of discussions on this.

SANDFORME

Reaction score
But has anyone tried Swepco 164 Moly Extreme Pressure High Temperature CV Joint Grease.

According to Swepco, this 164 extreme pressure grease replaces the normal Swepco 101 and eliminates the necessity of mixing with Bel Ray Anti-Seize.

I've always used Swepco and Bel ray mixture.

Thanks, looking forward to comments.

Also interested in feedback. I have mixed Swepco and Belray for a long time until finding that it starts to clump up over time.. since then, I have stuck to just Swepco 101 by its self.. curious about the 164. 

I have raced with Swepco 164, CAT Desert Gold, and 50% Swepco/ 50% Belray. My CVs always looked best after a race with 50% Swepco/ 50% Belray. If your grease is clumping up then you are waiting too long between service intervals. 

Someone turned me onto, Mantec, it is now Certified grease,  It stays the same consistency, and is super tacky,  We made Kartek carry it and they love it,  and we sell it again, as far as i know everyone that uses it stays with it,  was using the swepco belray mix and this i feel is way better, 

It does not clump up and stays in place,  $18 per tube,  super 

Certified Premalube Xtreme Black Extreme Duty Multi-Purpose Synthetic Blend NLGI #2 Grease 15.5oz - Kartek Off-Road

Specially formulated synthetic grease for 930cv 934cv extreme applications. Contains a ridiculous amount of moly! (alpermotorsports.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Light / medium duty - swepco 101/ belrey mix

Most sand car guys should be using mix...

Heavy duty - straight belrey 

I reserve straight belrey for class 1 cars and guys who run hard, Connor Mcmullen runs straight belrey in his class 1 car when he beats all the trophy trucks... but none of us are Connor Mcmullen...

Everyone else is free to have there opinion but they are wrong... :guns:

Light / medium duty - swepco 101/ belrey mix

Most sand car guys should be using mix...

Heavy duty - straight belrey 

I reserve straight belrey for class 1 cars and guys who run hard, Connor Mcmullen runs straight belrey in his class 1 car when he beats all the trophy trucks... but none of us are Connor Mcmullen...

Everyone else is free to have there opinion but they are wrong... :guns:
I am going to send you some tubes of the Certified,  I would have never believed it, but someone gave me a free tube and now it is like crack cocaine 

I pack the CV using a needle tip with Swepco Moly 101 then add a layer of BelRay antiseize over that on both sides.  Learned this when I was prepping two Class 1 Unlimited cars for Chase Motorsports 2008 to 2015.  We only ever had one CV failure and that was after loosing the boot and the grease getting slung out.  I started prepping my personal car and all of my clients cars with the same combo.  I prep 10-15 sets of CVs per season and have found this combo to work very very well for me.  

I was going to switch to Swepco 164 but my sales guy, Jeff Black, at Kartek said it was better for race cars that have the CVs torn down after each race.  So, I have continued to use the Swepco/BelRay mix.  I did buy some tubes of 50/50 premix Swepco/BelRay from Foddrils but haven't used them yet.

Last season @parker@gearonesent me a pair of his new CV savers so I ditched the small inner boot on my car and when I pull them down this summer I will do a write up on what I find.

I ran the 164 and thought it worked well. I would go 2 seasons before tear down and service and everything always looked great.

I've always run straight 101. Tried the 164 a few seasons ago, didn't go well. All the grease was in the boots, and wiped out 2 joints. Switched back to 101.

Back