CV boot wear

ibbrian

Reaction score
I'm having a new issue with my 930 cv boots and I can't figure out what is going on. Starting this season, on passenger hub side, the bellow closest to my CV joint is wearing a hole on the top of it. At full droop, the boot bellow touches the boot part that goes around the CV flange. 

I've ran this car for 4 seasons and never had this problem. Since October, I've changes the outer boot 3x. This time I even switched over to the thicker Bates boot and smeared powdered graphite on outside boot. Last week ran them. No holes yet, but there is a groove already where 1st bellows rubs on boot. 

I also switched this Season to shorter limit straps by 3". I am stumped!

Mid board hub bearings have no play. Cv's are brand new Fortin 300m. I realize that in the pictures it makes sense why the top of the bellows,  would be rubbing because they are. But what I can't explain is the previous four years of no problem. The droop used to be even more before I shortened the limit straps.

IMG_20220201_171359189_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220201_171416378_HDR.jpg

Possibly the trailing arm pivots starting to wear out causing more  camber at the hub. 

I have the exact same issue and have the bates boot also, Kartek has the boot designed for the gear one mid boards. 

The boot looks over extended. Did you grease the small end of the boot? It needs to plunge. 
X2, and it almost looks like the small end needs to have the first spot cut off so the larger Diam shoulder rides on the axle (its too tight). 

If it were me, I think I would change brands & see if that did not help. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this looks almost identical to my car.  I was ripping boots in the same place you are too.  I tried Bates and Empi, and I have more success with the Empi boots because they are more pliable.  Kartek recommended I try them.  My issue was the small end was not sliding up the axle at plunge.

Before I installed them, I use a Dremel sanding drum and I sand out a lot of the small end so it slides better up the axle. The Dremel sanding drums are a perfect size.   And before every trip I shoot some grease in the small end.  Been great ever since.    

A few of us in our group were having the same problem with the Bates boots. They were chit for some resaon. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what. All bought from Kartek. We all switched to Empi boots and everything has been fine. 

The boot looks over extended. Did you grease the small end of the boot? It needs to plunge. 
They are over extended in the picture. I was moving them around to see what the boot was doing in different positions.

The 300m axle are super fat, and super tight around axles. Lubing them up, or opening up boot sounds good idea.

A few of us in our group were having the same problem with the Bates boots. They were chit for some resaon. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what. All bought from Kartek. We all switched to Empi boots and everything has been fine. 
The thing is, I've always used the Empi boots and never had a problem before. I think I'm going to go with the boot needing to plunge over axle idea. 👍

Wow, this looks almost identical to my car.  I was ripping boots in the same place you are too.  I tried Bates and Empi, and I have more success with the Empi boots because they are more pliable.  Kartek recommended I try them.  My issue was the small end was not sliding up the axle at plunge.

Before I installed them, I use a Dremel sanding drum and I sand out a lot of the small end so it slides better up the axle. The Dremel sanding drums are a perfect size.   And before every trip I shoot some grease in the small end.  Been great ever since.    
Awesome! That sounds like my problem. Good stuff. Thank you!

FWIW, the only one that I like for my 930 is this one.  I trim back the first section to make it large enough to fit the axle.

I would assume they are made by RPB MFG (https://rbpmfg.net/)

Pacific Customs p/n AC501112B-930.  says "Max boot by RPB MFG" molded into the boot

FWIW, the only one that I like for my 930 is this one.  I trim back the first section to make it large enough to fit the axle.

I would assume they are made by RPB MFG (https://rbpmfg.net/)
Same ones I use on a mid-travel buggy using ALL the CV angle.  Last a long time, but make sure to use narrow band clamps or safety wire or it slips off the flange.

Back