Cummins Diesel Gurus... ?

SPODE

Reaction score
I own an 01 24v Cummins with 260K. I noticed that the stock turbo has score marks on the inside of the housing as well as play in the shaft causing it. So I am going to replace the turbo.  My question to you guys, if you have experience in this area is, can I upgrade the turbo and injectors and still be smog legal? 

No idea on the smog question, but are you running an aftermarket intake/filter setup? Turbo wear at that low miles is often "K&N disease".

No idea on the smog question, but are you running an aftermarket intake/filter setup? Turbo wear at that low miles is often "K&N disease".
I am not a K n N fan. So no. 

What is your goal?  A set of sticks, an adjustable WG pod and a boost fooler will get you a nice bump in HP and keep the EGTs in check. 

And FWIW, mine does too, but...  boost, EGTs and mileage have not changed in years, so I'm gonna let it eat until it throws the turbine down the down pipe.  (260,000 miles).

Give Steve out in Lakeside at Diesel System Services a call. He will be able to answer your questions. Great guy, tons of knowledge.

Steve (619) 733-1108

And FWIW, mine does too, but...  boost, EGTs and mileage have not changed in years, so I'm gonna let it eat until it throws the turbine down the down pipe.  (260,000 miles).
not a great idea if the cold wheel come off and it starts pumping hot oil into your intake it could run away seen it happen on some big equipment 

I own an 01 24v Cummins with 260K. I noticed that the stock turbo has score marks on the inside of the housing as well as play in the shaft causing it. So I am going to replace the turbo.  My question to you guys, if you have experience in this area is, can I upgrade the turbo and injectors and still be smog legal? 
i have the same truck, just turned 150k, did the mishimoto radiator and new front seal, water pump, belt, hoses, on the front while i had it apart. 

I am thinking of doing the industrial k27 turbo next and some sticks

NTG Racing in Santee. They only work on Cummins. 
Talk to Joe the owner or Pablo the head mechanic. Awesome guys there. 

FCB53620-28E5-47ED-B7F6-2466A296B4AD.png

Back